ぼくの日記

Monday, June 18, 2007

Wish My Office was Like That...

18th June 2007, Monday

Been battling a niggling flu for the entire week...It began as a sniffling nostril (specifically my right one) on Monday evening which ended as a badly malfunctioned running tap as mucus would uncontrollably flowed out of the nose which hindered my work on Tuesday...
By Wednesday, the nasal passage were badly blocked and a sore throat duly followed and guess what..deadly phlegm started to accumulate around my bronchi and I was starting to cough incoherently as the weekend approaches...
It was all bad as I was in the midst of my project at work and shouldn't be compromised with a MC and then I had evening physical trainings to attend, as I didn't wanna make up for that...
In the end I did survived last week and by start of this week, beside a regular requirement to remove the remaining phlegm, I think I am en route to full recovery...
All thanks to my wife's remedy of health supplements, meaning I had to down like 10 pills everytime...not the best experience...

Over the weekend, bleak activities were lined up which is okay since I wasn't in prime condition to have a ball of a time...
After a brief visit to La Tendo when we see Vincent for the first time in weeks but he was able to fly off to Japan for another culture exchange trip with Tay-chan chauffeuring him...
No sight of Tian Tian who had a day off, the Chong brothers who were captivated with the B-grade Marvel hero known as Silver Surfer at the newly-opened Ang Mo Kio Hub Cathay cineplex nor Chan who was subjected to overtime on weekend evenings, very much against his disgruntled wills...
Leaving EK and Karen around to man the shop which should be overwhelmed with figurine-crazy maniacs especially with the big sales being started...but things didn't turn out as we had hoped...

My missus and I departed for her colleague's BBQ at some eastbound condominium and took us a while to figure out the exact location and resulting in a series of wrong turns in Bedok which left me pretty vexed...
Well I felt obligated to follow her for such gathering with her side of acquaintance since she has always patronized with mine...
Once again the theory of the world is a small place has been vindicated as her colleague Sum happened to be a childhood buddy of one of my naval mate, in fact the one they followed me from BMT all the way to our ORD date, Lee.
It seems like he has doubled his body mass since I had seen him a year plus back (which was twice his former self); he said is the after-effect of a steroid-based medicine for skin disease he had acquired at work, a hazard he warned vociferously to me for my wife...since they are in fact from the same company but just different locations...
After some catching up and some BBQ food which I am not too enthusiastic about, we paid their condo a visit...and this Baywater apartment certainly is a scrawny place which is too small for comfort, they do have a considerably large balcony which doesn't make much sense to me....
The place is nicely decorated but reek of a stench perhaps from their beloved Cavalier King Charles Spaniel....

On Sunday, I woke up at the stroke of 9 and late for the badminton session.. Fortunately, it's Yio Chu Kang this week, thus dilute the degree of lateness on my part...
Not that the attendance was spectacular with only Karen, EK & Tian present, huffing and puffing on the court, since there was no one to take over the game from them, therefore they seems happy to see me...
I was still suffering the brunt of my illness thus running out of breathe at times but couldn't hide the fact that I suck big time at the game after such long exposure to it...My laziness to cover the court to chase the ball made it worst...
Tay-chan eventually arrived and could just squeeze about 30 minutes of playing time before we headed for brunch nearby...

I then made my way back, getting MacDonald's for the missus, a impulse desire for the fast food we grew to detest but seems to have that at higher frequency recently...

After she left for EK's place, seeking to convince Yanhui to join her cause, I indulged myself with my "The Office Marathon"...
This NBC comedy had really grew on me after filling the void left by shows like "Heroes" and "Lost" and of course the anime..
I had caught the 1st 2 seasons on the local cable network and I love the quirky characters working i that quirky environment...
Michael Scott the regional manager, portrayed by Steve Cassell reminded me alot of my American boss, the infamous Shitty Green for his inability to manage and doing the wrong things or saying the wrong words at the wrong time...
The 1st episode of season 3, "Gay Witch-hunting" which talks about how Mike had called one of his accounts guy, Oscar, a "fag" when it turned out that the latter is really a gay which brought the ire of the corporate and led to the whole "accepting gay" ritual when he would proclaim he is for homosexuality which a always turned out sour and he had to cap it with a hug then a smack on the lips to show his sincerity which totally floors me when I watched it, as I could envision my own work place except Shitty is Michael and Beautiness is Oscar...yhew....
Anyway I went on rampage with Season 3 while looking for the 1st 2 seasons for reminiscence and the characters really got on to me as it is the various staff in the office that makes the show sparkles.. Of course the protagonists like Jim, Pam, Dwight and Ryan developed further but the likes of the expressionless Angela who was trying to hard to keep her relationship with Dwight under wraps or Stanley, the always unwilling salesman that only look forward to Pretzel day and Toby the HR guy who always been bullied or Kelly the shallow simpleton which drove Ryan crazy or even those guys in the warehouse that make the show ticks...
Then there are the new staff from the merger with the Stamford branch which see 3 out of the 5 (excluding Jim) been axed in subsequent episodes with the irritating Andy Bernard left to totally irritate Dwight, sprouting evil words to deviate Michael's impression of his left hand man...for a while you might sympathize with the nerdy Dwight for once...the conniving plot is so typical of an office...
Then the only eye candy of the show..no not Pam... Karen Filippini, the Italian blood sales who has an eye for Jim since their Stamford days and prove a tough opposition for the former for Jim's affection...

It is how real the show can be reflecting a mundane office life where co-workers strive to keep sane their crazy boss' shenanigans while keeping their job safe as well..
As well as fending off irritating colleagues, thus tricks you must pull even though it might greatly endanger him/her gravely...like you care...heehee
Gosh I wish my office was like that...
Every single episodes almost got me into fits, and by the end of each show, my facial muscles usually were badly cramped by the antics they pulled..My neighbours might be totally piqued from my perturbing laughters of madness last evening...

Speaking about office, haven't seen my own version of Michael Scott today despite he has returned from his US trip..
And we do have an eye candy in the new girl XY who joined last week to understudy the likes of Beautiness, so that she could adequately replaced KM once he left for his road in education comes July...
Her name literally means "small voice"... she does has it but still too premature to read too much into her...surely more than meets the eye like Transformers...

Japanese word of the day: 事務室~ji-mu-shi-tsu~(Office) My office version of Dwight Shrute might be....?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home