ぼくの日記

Monday, February 11, 2008

Where has Quality Rest Gone for the CNY Break?

11th February 2008, Monday

As the title implies, I crept out of bed, low on blood glucose and badly in need of more sleep... Dragging my body to work after the hefty break, I wondered if I did really had a good rest over the festive periods...For the past few days, the exaltation & fervor of paying visits to relatives and friends not seen for a while or simply playing host to others had been much subdued by the thought of Monday would arrive too fast as well as the lack of quality sleep I supposed...

I had been pretty restless and jittery even for the first few days when we had to travel elsewhere for visits... And somehow the missus will drag a bit too long for the make-up which affected me especially on the 2nd and 3rd day...
Unlike last year when we flown off to Japan on the 2nd day of the Lunar New Year, we had to go through the full ordeal of distributing red packets this year...
Surprisingly we didn't see many of my extended family over the course of the 4 days especially from my father's side, as they didn't dropby our place like they used to...

The usual visit to the missus' clan where her grandma still was the focal point to hold her maternal family but this year only the usual suspects arrived with many elder cousins failed to turn up...
Some internal squabbles with one of the son's wife and the depature of the house maid, led to no cooking from the patriarch this year and we ordered Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken instead...
Not truly festive but it'll do to curb the hunger...

On Saturday, we left for Karen's place under the punishing heat the island had been experiencing for the festive period and boy was her place at Jurong East really far...With that, I think I had completed my tourney of all the places of residence of my La Tendo clique...
After some tasty lontong and seeing a kid petrified by her gentle and deaf dog, the next port of call was our place as the gang just cozied up in front of the TV to watch some lame old local drama as well as admiring my figurine collection on display.
Finally we got to Serangoon North to the Chong's residence where Bryan was the man of the household now that Ferris had moved out and their parents on vacation...
However the younger Chong was too lazy to entertain us and the older one shown a bit more zeal to offer us the delicacy on display...
Chan arrived after visiting his relatives and rumors sprouted from EK about a girlfriend seems to be baseless...
After some karaoke, we headed to AMK Hub for the movie, "CJ 7", Stephen Chow's parody of E.T. with a Chinese poor man twist...
Think everyone was aptly entertained after the movie though it was still a rather lackluster affair; but I chose it anyday over the wretched basketball-Jay Chou vehicle by the name of "Kungfu Dunk" which my wife hustled and cajoled me to watch persistently over the few days before...

Sunday was when my colleagues came over for lunch while her colleagues came more for some mahjong fun...The house was pretty lively throughout with my paternal auntie and uncle dropping by as well...
I think my colleagues were thoroughly entertained by "who's who" in BY's polytechnic class who degenerated (aged) over time as we compared pictures of their present state; then they had a great laugh at the gay flick "I Pronounce You Chuck & Larry" since it was a topic we had been so affectionate about especially our dear beautiful One, is a blooming gay himself...
After they left at around 4 plus, I coached the missus in her mahjong education and perhaps it was beginner's luck that she managed to get good tiles over the game and only managed to lose a single dollar...

One of her colleague then sent us to TW's place at Eunos as we paid his family a visit and had a good chat for come catching up as well as more delectable red wine for the missus before she was knocked out, watching me and TW marveling over the storyline of "Devil May Cry 4" before my buddy sent us back to the North with her drunk and me reeling from Monday blues...

So there goes our rather eventful CNY celebrations, did a good amount of visiting as customary what we should had done, caught a couple of movies and even gathered some "ang baos" which we should be getting because of our marital status...

Over the weekend, one iconic figure of tourism of Singapore, Ah Meng the orang utan passed on due to old age to the grief of the entire nation while Edison Chan continues to be on hot soup with more risque pictures of female celebrities he seemingly had taken for his own pleasure but got leaked out when his Apple notebook was brought for repair and caused this massive scandal which shrouded the entertainment scene in Hong kong and perhaps rest of Asia for the past 2 weeks or so...so not all was well for everyone in the Year of the Rat...


Japanese word of the day: 休 ~ya-su-mi~(Rest) Seriously at my age (reaching 30 soon), there's never enough rest...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home