ぼくの日記

Monday, January 21, 2008

Luckless Shanghai Night

21st January 2008, Monday

As the winning numbers were called out at the concluding part of the final segment of the lucky draw, my heart accelerated the pounding while I had the faint hope that my lucky "number "177" could clinched that home theater system I had my eyes on...
In the end it went to a bald, Caucasian deputy director of the company who earlier also won something for being the best dressed male participants of the Dinner N Dance this year.
To sum up the injustice about the supposedly-impartial lucky draw, another deputy director, a lecherous and seedy character who tried to hook up with Sigeeta the year before and took prowled on every single opportunity he could to attain physical contact with female contestants of games he was assigned to present the awards and was eager to pick up conversation with another colleague, Shulin later on the night, picked up one of the top prizes as well...

There was completely no luck or whatsoever for me this year making last year's thumbdrive looks so much prestigious...

This year's event was held at the Hilton Hotel along Orchard Road and makes one wonder if Paris would makes an appearance...
Paris didn't but Shanghai came in full fledge as the unexpected surge in registration for the DnD mere days before the actual party meant there were a good 180 staff (including invited guests) made their presence felt especially with many bother to dress up in their Shanghai bests including ladies in cheongsam and guys in a Mandarin-inspired top though I thought the classic 1930s Shanghai should be highlighted with the close mafia fashion.

BY pulled the plug at the last minute to get her hair done in the afternoon, meaning I had to brace myself to be in the same vehicle with His Beautiness with the high probability of him "checking my gear".. Nothing of that sort happen as we tried to beat the manic traffic jams leading into the city on a Friday evening.
The ballroom was filled by the time we got there...

A little performance by the hardworking recreational club who should feel satisfied with the attendance and how everyone had enjoyed themselves and harping over the games and the good food which are a stark improvement to the year before.
The games were also switched to mass participation rather than random sabotaging of your colleagues which BY was jittery about the entire night.
There were also performances by those who entered the talent contest which HB had cajoled and coaxed me to join over the span of November and December last year which I snubbed simply because I felt I am void of any credible talent at this point of my life.
Our resident scrooge of the lab, J3nny who had been part of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra did a short snare drums performance which not many cares about and she hastily left in shame after that.
It wasn't much surprise that most vote went to the Chinese guy who wrote a song with Chairman Mao's famous poem.
He also beat off the contest from a Malay colleague in his true Malay crooning with participation of a popular Indian receptionist.

Then there was the long service award from which I was one of the recipients for my 5 years in the organization despite merely here for a year and a half.
Surely my happiness level here is much profound than my previous employment.
So in the end, I didn't left home empty handed but some vouchers and a cheque as a reward for my long service...and of course a plaque which cost no more than $20 for sure from Queenstown Shopping Center.

The entire event hosted by a seasoned host able to carry the weight of the event on his own till 11 or so as the grand prize of a Canon DSLR camera was awarded to a lucky PRC colleague of mine...
Way more justifiable than those who are at high posts and earning so much more than our petty renumeration.

The crowd scattered when the lights dimmed, the scented fog was spewed and the disco ball orbiting in synchronization with the DJ's turntable...
The ballroom which held the dinner was much smaller than last year's but the crowd on the dancefloor was much more pathetic than we had anticipated.
I had wanted to leave as I could hitch a ride home but it seems like my French supervisor wanted to de-stress on the dance floor, so a few of us obliged.
However after some awful dance numbers with jumbled sequences (i.e. techno followed by retro followed by Latin and a mere interlude of R&B which Shulin requested), we were disillusioned that the DJ was any good at all and decided to call it a night, stuffing some leftover desserts along the way...

Japanese word of the day: 服(Dress up) I will try to dress up for next year's theme, perhaps will aid me to win something good by then...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home