ぼくの日記

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Eclectic Musical Taste

4th August 2005, Thursday

15 days to go to my Japan Trip

Feeling pretty chirpy this morning... Physically I have been on tip top condition for recent times despite the niggling effect of lack of sleep, mentally I'm feeling upbeat with the weekend just a stone throw away...
The fact that I came in to work in my usual time for the first time this week sure is a morale booster as well....

The date for the Presidential Poll has been set on the 27th of this month as the people of Singapore would come together for the first time after the NKF fracas to vote for our 3rd public-elected president...
Hey wait...27th I would most probably stuffing myself silly with "wanko soba" in an authentic restaurant somewhere within the city of Morioka, Iwate; meaning I couldn't be physically around to witness local history in the making (which I have been pondering hard on whether do i really care...)
Actually there be a high possibility that our current president, S.R. Nathan would retain his seat in Istana for yet another 5 years if the other 2 candidates are deemed ineligible to run for presidency on the Nomination Day on the 17th..which pales in comparison to the hitly-contested, teeth-gnashing tussle we have watched in presidential elections in other countries like the States for example.
Nonetheless our PM has announced 27th August, a Saturday a public holiday which I think would remain; and according to our company policy that a public holiday to be fallen on a Saturday with be granted an extra day of "off-in-lieu" in our records...woohoo!!

Of yes I'm very sure fans of JxMMy D had been yearning for more of the juicy yet eccentric scoop about your idol which had been taking a hiatus in my blog for a while...
Ok ok..calm down..here I go:
A couple of days ago, I noticed a MS Prompt window of the PC of one of the machine has been activated for your usual "cmd" mode.
This is not a rare occurence to be harping over about since the self-proclaimed IT expert of our lab had always been experimenting with the PCs of the individual machines with all sorts of programs resulting in endless pop ups and high suspicion of virus attacks...
However on a closer observation, I noticed that some files transferred is in process and it seemed like the files are actually tons of mp3 files from an assortment of albums.
I was assuming he would be orchestrating his own DJ project once I'm away for my trip as I usually log on to the live radio for Class 95 which would blast music to fill the room whether the listeners are willing or not.
Been as curious as a cat, I went to investigate on what kind of music JxMMy had been listening to.

I was taken aback by the eclectic, mish-mash, "rojak" selection of tracks he had selected...
I had mentioned before he had a liking for new age music as well acid/lounge jazz therefore the likes of Secret Garden, Laura Fygi and Era are not uncommon
But I didn't know he is into Bossanova as well when I see Lisa Ono's albums in the list as well
He also been secretly supporting local talent in the form of Corrine May...
This is sandiwched between the new albums of U2, The Jet and Erasure...
Of course he had been into Mandarin pop as well but I didn't jot down the artists he had been raving about...most probably old school stuff like Jacky Cheung.
Finally I was pretty amazed to see even some J-pop music (just a compilation of the award winning hits without specific information like the title nor the artist performing the song) and even Korean music such as the OST of "Winter Sonata"...
I'm actually quite surprised he did not include Indian chants or maybe some Alps yodelling compilation with house/trance/techno, as well as gothic/industrial rock, and classical pieces...
As BY has mentioned before he has no specific taste in music and it's apparent he had "jump the bandwagon" tendency of listening to what the masses are listening....hell, he don't even hum a song since I knew him ever...

Perhaps the only thing that I would be alike to my corpse-like colleague (who is dire void of life) would be our constant need for music (regardless of good or bad)....

In last night's "Rock Star: INXS", the remaining contestants raised their bar to impress the band as well as the audience after the shock double whammy elimination of Daphna and Heather...

The contestants had a vocal clinics to work on their hidden vocal abilities which reaped rewards for many like Jessica and even Jordis who always churned out flawless performance and did a splendid rendition of David Bowie's "The Man who Sold the World"...

Cocky, pompous J.D. were a blatant target for verbal criticism for Dave Navarro and INXS after last week's abysmal performance of "We are the Champion" which sure caught the band surprised that he was not one of the bottom 3 which sure indicates how well he was recieved by the audience who had been smittened by his talent for musical arrangment and cocksure attitude....
When Mig (now my personal fave) did a fantastic "We will Rock You", Dave mentioned Queen would be relieved now after J.D.'s performance last week...

The girls whom I think would be likely to have another eliminated did well with Deanna climbing to the band's table to do an "intimate" performance for them, Susie did a Beatles' classic under her grasp with interactions with the supporting house band and Tarra did a nice Police's song...

Brandon, another of my fave sang one of my fave contemporary rock song, Tonic's "If you can only see" and succeeded in expanding his vocal powers after struggling during the build up...

So it's tough this week to pick the bottom 3 this week because everyone did so good (except Ty who struggled with Foo Fighters' "Everlong" which he had not heard before his selection but still did great)...
Anyway my take would be Jessica, Tara and perhaps Deanna or Brandon..but quite sure Jessica couldn't lucky for the 3rd time straight....

Japanese word of the day: 音楽~on-ga-ku~ (Music) Someone got some weird music affliations, I'm not surprised one fine day he would be listening to Andy Hui's 70s Cantopop after some Japanese enka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home