ぼくの日記

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Gu Niang Whining

3rd August 2005, Wednesday

16 days to go to my Japan trip...

Midweek already and once again cannot get to work at my usual time...much attributed to a combinations of me boarding a later train as well as the make-shift bridge which really prolong the journey between the MRT station and the feeder bus pick up point.

Just not too inspired to do much this very day and the lack of quality sleep (been dreaming way too much these few nights) compounded by the chilly weather (well amplified with the strong air conditioning within my workplace) surely made me pretty drowsy at this very moment...

Last evening at just an hour shy of the midnight, one of my closest female comrade from my Uni days, HZ called me , which taken me slightly aback, and sure was a disruptive force for I am concentrating on my toys collection photography session.

It seemed like she had been urged by someone to attend the annual freshmen orientation program in NUS known as Rag Day this coming Saturday. On this day, the various faculties would pit against each other to exhibit their artistic talent with a well-garnished float made by recycable materials (which supposed to be the case but rarely so).. I had my share of joy and sorrow during my varsity days struggling to complete the floats by the eleventh hours... sure can be fun..but I doubt i would relive that again...

I was prompt to answer her enquiry about whether I would actually gracethe occasion which was not what she was expecting.
Sensing that she wanted to go but need company, she would persuade, cajole, coerce and beckon me to change my mind which I am adamant for sure I wouldn't wanna waste my Saturday morning as well as $3+++ of travelling fee down to NUS just to watch other faculties squashing my alma mater (what's new) with their display and creativity
In fact I wasn't even prepared to attend Bernard's baby boy, Hobbes' 1st birthday as well on the same day...yes welcome to my hermit-style world of solitude...

But as I mentioned before, HZ's relentless whining and repeating the same point over and over again sure has no meaning to me, so last night I guessed I did the right thing to just end the conversation short and sweet, urging her to hang up saying I'm busy with my things which I am..If not it would last into the wee hours talking about nothing I would not taken note of before, and painfully devouring my slumber-time...
Hell she's not even my girlfriend, though in a speck of my past years I had that desire but the thought would be instantaneously eradicated once she starts her "gu niang" whining again...

In fact HZ wasn't the only "Gu Niang" whiner I had heard this week, in fact this very morning my colleague,YM with her usual whining voice over the phone probed on why her samples did not turned out as well as she was expecting.
This was not exactly the sweetest rhapsody I wanted to tune to kick-start the morning with...

I mean guys do whine as well but not to an extent that can be as irritating as the girls with their "gu niang" style of whining which most of the time is repeated over and over in a short span of time, hoping to get a solution from the listener immediately...

JxMMy might be the "king of negativity" but he rarely whines, in fact he doesn't even bother talking much but pry on the problem himself if he has the capability to of course
Then there was that "I Don;t Know" shrug of his shoulders, but that was much more bearable to the "Gu Niang" whine...

But not the entire female gender is been bestowed such kind of disturbing behavior...THANK GOODNESS...
My lass for example would whine and constantly be in a worrisome mode, but she never once had that viscous, clinging "Gu Niang" whining...
She has some trait of a guy in such a more "down to earth, straight to the problem" way of viewing thing which I felt blessed not to have to solve every single thing for her...
Kudos to her independance!
Japanese word of the day: うるさい~u-ru-sa-i~ (Noisy) Japanese usually hurls this word on someone or something that is irritating them, I would love to use this on some of those Gu Niang Whiners of mine sometime...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home