ぼくの日記

Friday, February 10, 2006

Career Path....

10th february 2006, Friday

As you know it hadn't been the best of week for me..though not drastically down in terms of mood but just some trivial issues and changes in life that got into me...Plus haven't been really productive to do stuff I supposed to do...kind of procrastinating now and then...very much back to the ill-discipline self I was well known for.

Last evening my lass called me at around 9 plus, just returning from work which supposed to conclude just after sunset..but you know her famous slave-driving company which we shall not lambast on one more time...

Being not much of a phone chatter nor really in the right frame of mind to play "teasing" game with her, I just wanted her to have a good rest to gear her up for yet another long day at work.
She then broke a news which she already know would cause an uproaring reaction for me.
It was that after her boss had changed her to the normal 9 to 5 job from the shift system she is in now; it seems like his admiration for her work attitude opens doors for her to progress in her career and with new technology been introduced to the company, her boss made an enquiry, probing whether she would be interested to head to northern Italy for a 6 month training stint to familiarize with that technology.
Not totally void of sensitivity, he knew that we are getting married in October and with the stint set to begin at late April, it would be head collison course with the actual ceremony in mid October.
Before she could finish her sentence I was like a litted cannonball and went ballistic to "command" her to forget it...
She was prepared for such volatile reaction from me so we didn't end up quarreling that would aggravate the entire situation.
Seriously even I am in a good mood, I would still pull the plug for this notion...It's not that I am all against her from making a great yard towards her career in this field but over the course of the past few years, her fickle-minded self had been tussling inside whether to continue pursue a job more suitable for a male counterpart or focus more on her sideline which bestow her with flexible time so she could spend more time with the family.
However I know how her persistent her management could be; if they are interested in a certain personnel, they would try all means and ways to coerce them to commit themselves unless that specific person quit...
Then knowing my lass, she would actually be very attracted to the opportunity and I want to let her know that whatever decision she make, she would have my fullest support...a pact we made before we decided to spend our lives together.

But...and a very big BUT... I am not that magnanimous or accomodating in nature..in fact I could be the world's most selfish bastard...
In the end of the day I wanted myself to be the happiest and if she really did head for Italy for 6 months, I would be bitter over it...especially in such a crucial time when we are going to embark a new life together.
I had been advising my buddy about long distance relationship these days are very much non existent with the advance in communication technology but it is easier said than done...
What "absence made the hearts fonder"...all bullshit...seriously there had been plenty of cases when relationships are wrecked when the other party is not by your side at all times... the classic "Jing Jing & Edmund" case been a model example.
I know it's cheesy to say that I could not live without my girl at my side at this point of time but it is quite true, she has become a part of my life as like my family, my job, my hobby and everything else that matters a lot to me.
I am never a very independant person, nor I am very comfortable to changes which is why I haven't been job-hopping as much as I should for economic progress
Therefore if this issue was to be brought up perhaps 5 years after our marriage, I might still be reluctant to let her go unless our yearning to spend time with each other fade like most would after years of seeing the same old thing day after day...

The timing of this stint is also ridiculous and with a lot of details of the wedding needed to be settled by both of us, her absence is a ludicrous and I doubt I am matured enough to settle everything on my own...
Plus if she is to be so accomodating, I would envision her going for overseas stint more regularly and she became indispensable to the company and by then our relationship would be seriously strained...
Not that I mind about the financial aspect of it as she could be the breadwinner and I am a "stay-home" dad...

Well at the end of it, my mind has been totally wrecked on what to do...I called her a bit later in the night, hoping to tell her how I feel about it in a composed manner but was dumbfounded and ran out of things to say eventually.
I truly hope I never had to handle such situations but in a relationship sacifices needed to be made..so if she really wants to go, there is nothing much I can do as well...
I am still hoping for the endless time we spent time watching our favorite shows or movies together every weekend....
Japanese word of the day:犠牲 (Sacrifice) I wouldn't mind catching that Danish cartoonist that raised the irk of the entire Muslim world as a sacrifice to make my lass to stay my side always..damn I'm gibberish...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home