ぼくの日記

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Meticulous Annual Leave Organisation

2nd February 2006, Thursday

It's always great to start work on a Thursday as basically you just need to endure 2 days before the weekends come again.

Back at work, the mood is slightly subdued, perhaps due to the fact that everyone is still recovering from the post-New Year festive mood and trying to accustom to the usual working momentum.
It is not help by the fact that the entire workplace is equally deserted with many personnels still on holidays and the demand for our service is barely a fraction of what we had weeks before.

Hey I'm not complaining..I get to "tuang" around a bit and catching up my usual webpages on the internet as I had not been doing it as frequently as I like over the festive period. And my first gift of the year of the dog is my MSN messenger in the office is working miraculously once more so my 10 friends on the list could drop in a message as if they are free to do so....

Back to sweating my butt out (literally) in the gym once more and my decreased in stamina during the half hour jog on the threadmail is understandable due to the 5 days break and it seemed like many others came in to shed a bit of calories off after uncontrollable feasting days before as well.

Since applying that urgent leave yesterday, I am down to 25 days of annual leaves for the year and how precious they can come by as in any cases with events cropping up, you can apply the leaves entitled to you.
For my current contract status I am eligible for 18 days of leaves from which only half can be brought over the following year ...To me it is always good to have ample leaves to fall back on..especially for the latter stage of the year.

For 2003 and last year, a hefty bulk was expended for my Japan trips and back in 2004, I took like zillion of half days to accomodate my driving lessons and practical test attempts in the end I am still able to bring over half of the leaves allocated.
This year I truly hope I can adhere to the practise and gather enough for a long honeymoon which is set to be in autumn 2007.

However this year things might be quite tacky with a lot of wedding preparations to be occupied with and annual leaves are to be taken, therefore I have to be even more stringent in wasting annual leaves for trivial purposes like lazing at home or even to watch important World Cup matches (with the matches beamed from Germany, you would expect unearthly hours here in Singapore).

Therefore yesterday's impromptu leave is a "no-no" for now meaning I had to extingusih that thought of taking a day off after Valentine's this month.
In March with my solemnization on the 20th which might require us to entertain our Japanese friends before they depart on the 21st, I would need to take 2 days there as well.
So I would have to endure the coming months without public holidays, and resist temptations to take unnecessary leaves

Another factor that prevent me at times depends on the leave statuts of my co-workers.
The newer staff like Bobby, Triana and Iris are quite resistant to apply for leave although they are not bound by probation period over here unlike other places when they would be barred from leave taking for their 1st half a year or so.
It is understandable that they need to be always around just in case of new things to learn and pick up.
With YM leaving in a week's time (she would be unofficially ending her 7 years stint here on Wednesday as she would be taking the off-in-lieu our supervisor has endowed her with for her last 2 days), the other senior figure in our lab is JxMMy and 2005 is a year shrouded with health issues with his spouse when he was compelled to apply for several emergency leaves but then we all agreed that our supervisor would grant her love child unlimited time off from work even if all his leave is expended.
However that would clash with his self ideology to be a mainstay in the lab at all time to serve all the ingrates needing our service and make it as a stage for him to perform his passion for his work, therefore he had been stingy about taking leaves, not that he has got much need in life as well...
Despite so, I just checked today that he would be taking 2 days of leaves in the middle of this month when he would be going on a week and a half long ICT (YIPPEE!); more of a reason why I should not take leave for my post-V day rest as Bobby would be running a solo show if that is to be true.

Well nonetheless, leaves are needed to be taken or they would be invalid if you held it till the end unuse and no chance of monetary exchange as it was the case before. Which is why the likes of our supervisor who is entitled a good 28 days a year would always have her leaves been labeled void as she would never leave her post for so many days in a year even when she is gone for overseas seminar/conference when even so she would be entitled conference leaves.

There are many kind of leaves as well available and one of which that every company should welfare their employees is the marriage leave which in my lass' company case is 5 consecutive days while I wonder how many my company would actually award me for my years of contribution to the institute...
Well at the end of it even with all the leaves been expended, there is something known as medical leaves... I know it's unscruplous and it is the last resort but many people even myself had done before...
Japanese word of the day: 休暇(Leave) If Holland make it to the World Cup Final, I would really feign illness to catch the live telecast

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home