ぼくの日記

Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Geek Wins the Girl!

1st June 2006, Thursday

Start of an exciting month ahead with the World Cups and the new job and very much minimal rest for me...

En route to work this morning while crossing the void deck of a certain block, I noticed a domestic gecko hanging precariously on the facade of the apartment just above my head....
I was wondering if it could really stick itself well in place before scrambling into the household...
Perhaps our reptile friend could read my mind and suddenly I felt something dropped onto my left arm and the feeling wasn't good...
Not a big fan of creepy crawlies, I immediately got startled and frantically brushed whatever than had made a perfect landing on my forearm without really seeing what was it..
However from the corner of my eye I could see that same gecko scurrying off due to the reflex reaction of a human being he perhaps wanna hooked on to...
My comedic reaction perhaps became an early entertainment for the homebound auntie from her morning groceries trip..but believe me no one like a gecko to fall onto your arm..just ask my buddy in Osaka...
However instead of cursing my luck, it could actually be a message that an unexpected windfall might be coming my way..since gecko in Chinese is “壁虎" and the older generation believes the presence of it could be of bringing wealth to the household as "壁" (wall) sounds like "币" (coins which also means wealth eventually)


Back to work, just see the neighbouring lab having a farewell lunch together for BS who's contract had ran out yesterday but came back to serve 2 more days as requested by their supervisor.
There's a strong camaraderie among the staff and students there which I doubt will ever present in our own lab...
I'm just glad I could survive the remaining time working with JxMMy who seemed effortlessly to get on my nerve with more gimmicks to pull, more irritating Chinese techno music put on repeat on his workstation and even doubt me on a few occasions...I'm strongly contemplating on whether to invite him for my wedding banquet...I'm not obliged to as he had not invited me to his (thank goodness anyway!)
I seriously hoped that my blog would be rid of his very existence soon...
For the entire day the only thing that keeping me afloat is the anticipation of the World Cup and found a khaki to chat about the build up to the extravaganza in my friendly gym staff, Faruk (or Farul)

Chat with Cheryl last evening on the MSN and learnt that she had found a new job in CNBC as a news assistant..so finally she got to embark into the world of journalism which she always had interest in...
It should suit her better and the passion could really keeps one going, just look at JxMMy (urgh gotta stop mentioning that obnoxious name)
Her beau and her had just returned from their Tokyo trip and like all first timers, her boyfriend seemed to be daunted by the cultural shock...and from her is that he did not really enjoy it...well there are always nicer places in Japan...
And from the photo gallery she forwarded to me, it seems like they managed to ride on the famous Ferris Wheel in Palette Town, Odaiba which we sorely missed out due to that unexpected typhoon...
Also realized we didn't truly explore Fuji Television station the last time we were there...

Last evening I caught the premiere of a new reality game show on Star World (my favorite channel now)..known as "Beauty & The Geek"...(think the version we are watching is the first season as season 2 is already over in the States)
Created from the mind of actor and Punk'dster Ashton Kutchner, it's a show about putting 7 people of each gender and ultimately should be belonging to different lifestyles...
The Geeks... as the name implied some of the most geeky guys in States but generally misunderstood and each had pretty impressive intelligence quotient
The Beauties... Plucked from various genres such as lingerie models to NBA cheerleaders, really stunning ladies which surely would flustered the hearts of most men let alone geeks who had maybe not dated in their lifetimes...
So basically they had to pair up and lived together (in the same room somemore) where they had to learnt off each other with the guys teaching the girls general knowledge or other mind-boggling facts or skills while the ladies generally teach the guys how to be cool.
On weekly basis, the pairs would be put on 2 challenges (one to test the geek, another for the beauties) and the winner would gained immunity (sould familiar) and also had the rights to nominate a pair they think should be nominated.
The 2 nominated pairs would then face off in a "do-or-die" quiz which both the geek and the beauty had to take...
The concept is really fresh and I was enthralled to see how the geeks trying their best to keep compsure when dealing with their gorgeous partners.
Of course even they mentioned that it was not a dating show, but sparks still flies and some are already getting romantically-linked..yes even the geeks can get laid!!
Well scanning through the list of geeks, beside a particular guy who look like a mix between Steve Urkel and my good buddy, CS who is surely one the girls would never find a wee bit sexy, a particular head scout and a doctor who kept having nose bleed (yes after seeing tho beauties, one would as well!), the rest are actually quite good looking especially the one that got eliminated in the 1st episode, Eric.
Well Wednesday evening should be something to anticipate for the next few weeks...

Finally I perhaps hold the key about the mysterious diarrhea I had recently..
Instead of finding fault with the food I consumed, I got a feeling that it could be the overbearing smell of the freshly painted door that could had upsetted my stomach..as the incidence of the diarrhea occured on the evening of Sunday (when my father painted door perimeter and piping of the toilet) and Tuesday (when he painted the room door)...
Strange as it is, it could all so true....

Japanese word of the day: トカゲ ~to-ka-ge~(Lizard) Thank goodness it was a gecko rather than a monitor lizard that fell onto me...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home