ぼくの日記

Friday, May 26, 2006

Little Gang of the Gym

26th May 2006, Friday

Do you know that today is "Eat With Your Family Day" which comes in conjunction with Singapore's Family Week 2006?
I have the slightest idea and I am sure hell anyone would give a damn about it..
But of all people, our deputy director, the one and only dowager known as Old Hag seems to align herself with the government policy (since we are still partly civil servants) and encourages all the supervisors and head of departments to allow their staff to go back home at 5pm today...
Not like it really makes a difference to me since that's the usual time for me to knock off on Friday anyway (while stock last especially not likely to recur at the new workplace)...Then gonna see if Dad would be fetching me with his rundown company Hyundai truck (while stock last as well since he would be quitting by next week)...

Didn't start this last day of anotehr long week well when Mr Sore-eyes hand written one of thos "er..I think you did something wrong" note to highlight my grave mistake of mixing up a couple of processing plate yesterday..fortunately I managed to solve it easily if not I would feel even much grouchier...urgh...bear with it...just only less than 4 weeks with this obnoxious colleague....

Took my weight on the balance in the gym today and after cutting down by 7 kg from the point I started my regular workout since November, my weight is kind of stagnant at around 85kg when I think I mentioned before I am hoping to cut down to 80kg by June which seems like a lost cause out of the sudden since I had been hanging between 85 & 86 kg for the past month or so...
Seems like clocking 30 km (around 6km per day) on the threadmill is not sufficient enough to lose more weight or I had too much gastronomical indulgences over the weekends or even daily during meal time...Anyway it's the whole point of staying healthy.... I know it is taboo to say this, but I had not been on the MC for like a good 8 months now while others would be down with niggling sore eyes (OUCH! I'm bad there..)

Since I am doing the work out daily on my own, I find it really productive and I can concentrate more rather than when BY and the rest can even chat freely on the threadmills...
Chatting definitely doesn't compliment gym session at all when you just had to concentrate so as not to get injured...
But somehow there is this particular group of guys from a sister institute (I supposed) headed by this scrawny, buck-toothed lad who is also the one making the din everytime he entered the gym with his companions (always bound to have 2 or 3 with him)...
Perhaps an act of his belittled masculinity, he would always cajoled his companion to work on the various stations in the gym...and always whined about how little he could do as compared to the rest...
He is your model choice of "empty vessel made the most noise"..
For the past few weeks, I still seen him frequent the gym but instead of hitting the weights, he could be playing ping pong with some female colleagues..guess what he continues to makes a lot of noise...
As for his companions, think they benefitted a lot from his absence..at least they could work out in peace..though the frequency of their work outs had been much reduced recently

There are these couple of "aunties"...one is a skeletal Caucasian or Eurasian who seem to just want to do very light work outs and chat at times.. But at least beside myself, they are the few that comes on daily basis...
The Chinese looking auntie with full make-up and glaring jewelries while working out likes to slack around at times, perhaps taking a good rest from work...
Then an incident yesterday when she was doing sit-ups on the bench and suddenly a loud fartting sound derives from her location..
Fortunately there are only a handful then and no one was bad enough to snigger on this normal gastrointestinal phenomenon...but she would be known as the "Farting Auntie" from that oint on...

Of course you have the serious bodybuilding types who had the insurgent fetish for the weights and putting their muscles under a lot of unnecesary stress...
The one that comes in daily basis is this "chee-na" looking chap who the staff mentioned is very serious about his work out...and he even attempted to do cardio as well which is something eschewed by serious bodybuilders...who can carry tons but so short of stamina I believe I can beat them in 2.4km run...

There are a few who are as obssessed with the threadmill as myself...including a couple of middle aged men..one of whom would chat with me about how I could instill that discipline to come daily...
while another is like SIngapore No.1 Sweating Pot...because after each run, fishes can swim on the threadmill he had used...but I wished I could sweat that much as well...
Then there is this scantily-clad lady jogger who can really beat a lotof guys in terms of the speed she could hit on the threadmill and like myself she always put herself to the limit of around half an hour or so...
She would cover the timer display with her towel to restrict her mind from thinking about the time remaining I guess since it is a bane usually as your mind would brings about slack intentions to your body...

Although more and more ladies use the threadmill for cardio, many still wanted something lighter such as those climbing or stepping machines as well as the cycling machine which seriously can't make you sweat out as much...
There was this rather fleshy lady who I supposed is a fellow colleague of mine working in the same institute though I had never seen her till the gym opens, loves to hit the stepping machine and ignore the rule of not to hog an individual equipment (as there is only one of those in the gym) and would just step for like an hour though the friendly trainer, Faruk would comes by to chat with her..But it has not occur for a month now when she only attends the classes in the studio these days...

Of course there are other notesworthy characters I frequently seen including "ang-mohs", China aunties and especially Malay ladies who surely need the work out due to their fattening diet...
As long as you are there with a correct purpose, then time would not be wasted I guess...
For now I had to come out with new work out regime to shed that remaining 5 kgs which seperate reality and my ideal weight before the wedding....
Japanese word of the day: 汗(Sweat) In contrast to the No.1 Sweat-Pot, the scantily clad lady almost never perspire even after such vigorous run

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home