ぼくの日記

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Honeymoon in Jeopardy

20th September 2006, Wednesday

The big news that got me sit up and pay attention while I was half awake on MRT on my way to work was that a sacked commander of the Thai army decided to rally his former troop and held a coup of the Government House in Bangkok while PM Thaksin is in New York for a UN General Assembly...

They successfully ousted the government and the PM from power and set up a temporary council, supposedly having backings from the Thai King and supposedly gaining supports from the civilians...

This entire affair as well as the Muslim militants attack of Hat Yai on Saturday night make me ponder whether the mini honeymoon in Koh Samui, a southern island in the troubled Thailand is feasible especially as safety is put in jeopardy...
I actually enquire from the resort on the status of Koh Samui and whether the recent ongoings have any repurcussions on the safety of the island...
The staff was quick to reply that the island is still basking in serene peacefulness and while advising us to keep a close track to news for further ongoings to the political turmoil of the country, they felt tourism in the resort island shouldn't be affected...

I also went to check out the cancellation of the air tickets I reserved and any cancellation will be around $60 per ticket (USD30) into thin air as well as the 20% of deposit I have paid the resort with (around $20+)..but ultimately safety is paramount as our Ministry of Foreign Affairs had advised to steer clear of it if it proliferated into a civil war in there...

My lass too heard the news and shared the same worries but at the end of the day we hope at the end of the day everything turns out aye okay and we can go ahead with our honeymoon...
Japanese word of the day: 危険 (jeopardy)I am not talking abt that popular American game show...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home