ぼくの日記

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Irritatus Maximus

23rd September 2008, Tuesday

Ever attended a wedding banquet where you know no one else except either the bride or the groom who invited you?
Seated in a table of strangers, you just try to see time pass and the dishes come faster then quietly and stealthily slithered away?
Usually if I have a choice I would politely just reject the invitation unless it's a really close acquaintance; which by this juncture should see we have more common friends...

On Sunday, I had to accompanied the missus to the wedding banquet of a close buddy from her Secondary school days, someone I had seen fore maybe 3 times though a nice lad in my books.
In chronic lack of quality sleep (woke up early for work on Saturday and then badminton on Sunday) and with the prospect of a long week staring in my face, you couldn't fault me for not being the most chirpy bird on the tree to attend a wedding dinner of someone I remotely know in the bowel end of town.
However I was still very willing for the occasion for the sake of the missus who thought she would be alone when another of her Secondary School pal bailed out on them.

Held at Swissotel Merchant Court, my mentality was set to at least savor some good food, paid my congratulatory message to the newly weds and get home soon enough for whatever of the weekend remaining.

So we were seated in the sea of strangers at this table at the very fringe of the hall which was cool to sneak out if possible.
The missus felt she would not have known anyone perhaps a few familiar faces from the demise of her teenage years and that was exactly what happened.
On our table there was like 4 ladies from their alumni and ultimately a rather lanky bigot of a guy...let's call him Crouch like that lanky striker from Portsmouth.

Little did I realized that Crouch would become the bane of my otherwise eventless night which I want it to stay that way.

When Crouch supposedly a swinging bachelor working as some executive (i.e. telemarketer) from a renowned courier company settle down our table, he was prompt to pick up conversation with the skinny girl who was well acquainted with the missus all night.
He didn't really initiate anything with my wife perhaps he felt she was too matured looking for him or perhaps the husband on her left was posting a grouchy or at best a disinterested face all night.
Then his night just got off with the 4th of July firework celebration when 3 more of his former female schoolmates sat beside him, more avenues to allow him to pick up small cheeky conversations with.
The girls seems to enjoy his company as well...then again I am not in the same alumni, age group or wavelength but can't they tell he was an obnoxious fellow who keep initiating small talks with them.
Ok there was a pair of girls who contemplate about getting into a lesbian relationship because they felt at their age and unattached makes them stale or something which also ticks me off a bit.

So over the course of dinner he would pick up some flirty squabbles with one of the girl, talking about how well he could hold his alcohol while interchanging beer with red wine, showcasing how well was his culinary skills or how he envisioned his other half would be; bemoaning the number of times he was being asked to be a "brother" for a wedding though abit affected by the fact that the groom of the night didn't ask him to be one.
All of this to supplement his constant enthics to impress his former classmates like serving them food or unshelling the prawns.
The most torrid part was that the girls seemingly love his presence; even the missus who had a good 10 minutes talk about Electronic Road Pricing with him.

By the middle of the dinner with 5 dishes gone as well as the usual shenanigans like the yum seng ceremony and the groom speech, I was quite irritated to the point it was evident on my face.
Yet I knew my wife loves the classic dessert, the yam paste at the very end, so as bitter and nonchalant as I was, I was set to endure it for her sake till the end.
The only moment of salvation was when he actually left the table for like 10 minutes or so...

Fortunately the missus sense my irritation (of course I did told her I was slightly ticked off but the reason not told on the table) and we made our departure just before the dessert.
She made that sacrifice for that little man in me and I was eternally grateful.
However she couldn't quite accept the fact that I found the usual stance of distaste in most of her friends or acquiantance while she readily accepted mine.
Partially it's true but I had always been positive around her closest confidantes who I always get along.
But a ghost from the past like this who wasn't even in her class back in the days shouldn't be entertained not when he was such a parasite I couldn't stand to have in my system for even one second.

I guess I would attend more of such wedding for diplomatic purpose in the future and I surely pray I wouldn't see my life been wasted away with anymore of the presence of such characters...
It'll spoil the best tasting cuisine served on the platter for sure.

Japanese word of the day: 苛立っていること (Irritating) Think I myself can be quite a irritating character to others...I'm sure of that

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home