ぼくの日記

Monday, May 18, 2009

Not an Angel but definitely not a Demon

18th May 2009, Monday

Managed to catch the film rendition of Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons" by Ron Howard on Friday.
Many people might had the misconception that it was a sequel due to the prior production of "Da Vinci Code".
However it sure seemed like director Howard and producer Brian Grazer had the intention for this adventure to be following the events of their earlier film.
Renowned expert in iconography &symbology, Robert Langdon portrayed by Tom Hanks looked much older as the actor himself had shown signs of aging in recent years.

Personally I had read the story after "Da Vinci Code" as well. While I marveled at the mastery of Dan Brown to cook up that conspiracy behind Da Vinci's work with religion, I must say I had a stronger inclination to the prequel.
The story which saw a race against time within the Vatican City and nearby City of Rome was vivid in my mind with alot of detailed description of the smallest nation in the world as well as the works of Raphael, Benini and other great artists who had contributed to the epitome of Catholicism in that era.
There was also the in depth research on the "anti-matter" which in recent times hit the headlines as a similar Large Hadron Collider was in construction in Switzerland leading to an Indian girl committed suicide in fear that the black hole would be created from the particle collison within the Collider.

The movie very much truncate a seemingly detailed novel which would be too dry for viewing pleasure.
While it captured the essence of the wild ride around Rome in his quest to rescue the 4 kidnapped cardinals from the Illuminati, the movie still lacked something that the novel possessed, which I find it hard to describe.
There was no chemistry between Langdon and the heroine, Professor Vittoria Vetra unlike in the novel, a romantic spark was imminent from the start which even lingered to "Da Vinci Code" when the pair broke up.

The film was very much a showcase of the beauty of the Italian capital which brought a lot of reaction from my missus who reminiscenced on her time in Italy back in 2006.
The musical scores by Hans Zimmer also brought out the mood of the story especially in the frantic search for the anti matter bomb.

Somehow the film quality from Cinelesiure was pretty shoddy, much resembling a better quality bootleg DVD, world of a difference as compared to the clarity of "Star Trek" in digital format we caught last week.

In the end, Karen who bought the tickets days before treated us for the movie as the gang had the usual after thoughts while lingering outside the theater before calling it a day.

Two little surprises lit a rather uneventful weekend as the pay had been put in since Friday instead of today which didn't really matter much but always happy to see my bank account bloated.
My Amazon order came in on Sunday delivered by a little girl no more than 12 years old to my doorstep, merely days when I foot the shipping bill. I was taken aback by how fast it was sent.
The Blu-ray discs and DVDs came in right time as almost all the drama series and sitcoms I am following from the States had reached their finale.
Especially "Lost" which left some sort of cliffhanger as avid fans will want to unravel the truth in the final season, starting late this year.

Got news of the passing on of the father of one of my junior back in university.
Although we aren't exactly considered chums as myself had been alienating from my friends from that time period, I find the lad a nice chap who made an effort to attend my wedding when many closer ones failed to.
I had intended to attend the wake on Saturday but couldn't find anyone to tag along, so in the end I gave it a miss.
I wonder if there would be any repercussion but from the frown on my missus' face, herself preoccupied with her seminar the entire weekend, it seems like I hadn't be the "angel" she had hoped to marry.

Japanese word of the day: 天使~ten-shi~(Angel) I wish t have a guardian angel to bless me in this period when I think my job might not be that secured.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home