ぼくの日記

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Fashion Disaster...

30th June 2005, Thursday

I wonder how many people out there have clothings that are in their collections for more than 10 years?
Well high quality and lasting garments are hard to come by these days, that maybe even Levi Jeans might not be able to survive the toll of time...

However I knew of people still wearing clothes since the 90s, in fact maybe even the 80s..
There is this particular colleague of mine from a neighbouring laboratory who seems to be overly thrifty that she can virtually don the same sets of clothes over decades and the amzing thing is that she bears no difference now and ages ago...

well today is not about criticising other (or have I?), but talk about a couple of shirts I wore for like years now...
I ain't no fashion guru nor a metropolitican dude like Beckham... but in the past I do try to spend a hefty sum to garnish my Michelin-man like physique...However most tend to fail instataneously...
I had a shirt from "Tangs Studio" which I took a profound amount of consideration plus a couple of neutral opinions (actually the guys were just dying of boredom and wanted me to hasten the purchase process)...
It's sort fo like a bohemian style V-neck shirt with really stylo-mylo strings around the collar...
well since I was pretty into the visual kei pretty J rock at that time, I thought I could pull that off...
But I ain't no slim, drugged pretty Japanese rockers.. I was fat as always and the body hugging, beige shirt just amplify that notion ever more...
After a date with my girlfriend during X'mas that year, she banned me from wearing that god-forsaken shirt when I am with her ever....since then, I could not recall where I had placed it...
Luckily I did not contemplate on buying a pair of black leather pants back then...phew

As I have grown older and due to the context of my job, jeans and T shirts are my best buddies...because they are easy to pair and comfortable to be in...
However even T shirts can be a nightmare if the size ain't accurate...I had some really big ones and some so small it could suffocate me after 5 seconds upon putting on...
Well eventually I ran out of option to wear for work as well as casual outgoing...

One shirt which I bought from Bangkok in my late secondary school days donned the face of the late Kurt Cobain, the vocals of Nirvana...which was your typical "Mat Rocker" black shirt
The miraculous thing is that this particular shirt fit me to a T since then, despite so many years...
Even till these days, when I feel a bit grungy I would wear it...despite once during a class chalet outing at Changi region, a transversite (famous landmark of that area) was pretty attached to my shirt and when he/she uttered, "wah, Nirvana ah..." I scampered off like there was no tomorrow...

Another shirt...actually more like a football jersey which I wore today to work as well is a Unisport Dutch jersey I got for my birthday present back in my secondary school days as well...
The design is your vintage Dutch team style when it wasn't Nike who endorsed them but Umbro...but mine is just a cheap replica which was a nice gesture from my poor friends...
The jersey is in bright luminous orange (as in all Dutch football jerseys, they are not called the "Oranje" for nothing) which was so body hugging..when I donned it and went for my soccer training (yes I was an amatuer bench warmer in my younger days), my acid-tongue team-mates would call me "the fat Bergkamp"... It was really a compliment to me...
So till these days when I feel like to be standing out of the crowd, I would wear my cheap bright orange jersey...since there is a renaissance of orange since the turn of the centuary...
But the design of it gives an indication how old I am as well...

I guess this pair would continue to be ominpresent in my selection for the next few years as well...

Last night, a "pa-cik" from the Ministry of Environment knocked on our door vehemently who annoyed Dad (then again he can be annoyed by the most trivial thing around); wanting to check that our apartment is free of breeding ground for Aedes mosquito as dengue fever had sort of hit my neighbourhood pretty badly..yikes...

Things at work haven't been proceeding too smoothly as the machines kept having persistant problems and not 1 but 3 of our 4 equipments affected with slow down our operation badly..more mystery for JxMMy to unveil I guess...

Lastly been pretty engrossed with the NHK Taiga serial for the year 2004 which Chan borrowed me, "Shinsengumi" which was a tragic tale about some young and dedicated samurais in the Edo period... well you can search and read about their tales on the internet...
But this 49 episodes long Taiga series aren't as boring as other previous works and sure helped by having some popular actors like Katori Shingo (SMAP), Eguchi Yousuke and Yuuka in the cast...
Think it would be a pretty long journey to be intrigued by the story of a group of people so important in the development of historical Japan...
Japanese word of the day: 流行 ~ryuu-kou~(Fashion)I think I'm going into spandex next with all these superhero fever as of now..)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home