ぼくの日記

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Holding a conversation with the opposite sex

11th May 2005, Wednesday

Back to work after my half day sabbatical, and my supervisor is already off for her conference in the States... Thus we are on our own to deal with the usual routines, and of course fend for ourselves with all the scowl and scorn from the other people, eyeing in our space or critical of our facilities....

Anyway called HZ last night. She was one of my numerous superficial "targets" during my days of bewilderment in university days.. However we still keep in constant contact (twice a year actually)...
With my hermit tedencies these days, you would be glad I actually call someone up for a chat at my own will...

HZ can be a very loyal friend and at times has her own charms which perhaps why I was attracted to her in the first place, but somehow poof into thin air when she became an overly-sensitive creature who is negative about her life and whines about it (reminds me about myself)

Conversation over the phone with her generally constitutes a lot about hoe she was been bullied at work and how her life sucks...blah blah blah, heard it all before... This is not helped when everytime she would be interrupted by her family members at the background which I really wonder if they have any degree of basic courtesy when people are on the phones, leave them alone.... Last night's conversation reaches a whole new pinnacle when she took a toilet break in between the conversation which I did not pay much attention as I was devoting about a portion of my focus on my Football Manager game while also flipping between 2 channels on the TV....

However there's a problem in me that no matter how bored I was with the conversation, I rarely is the one ending the conversation and hang up...So there I was wasting about a good 40 minutes of my life chatting with HZ, about how she was down with fever or whine about how badly her current employers are treating her and showing off the fact that she manage to clinch her driving license with 2 points lesser than mine.... I also starting to wonder why I called her in the first place which was to plan a get-together with our usual gang (known as the 4T gang, which there are 4 ladies (exception of me of course, I'm more like a "gu niang")with the surnames beginning with "T", leaving around the same area and would mug exams together)

I don't know I never liek conversation over the phone... the fact that you cannot see the facial expression & body language of the party at the opposite line makes me queasy, and there might not be much sincerity in the words at all...However I could go nostalgic with my buddy on the phone for hours and not get tired...

These days the women I have a casual conversation with (nothing professional), are actually my mom, my sister, my girlfriend and the 3 witches of Eastwick at my workplace...
I doubt I can hold a one to one conversation with any other ladies anymore, without feeling jaded or bored after 2 minutes....
But even with some guys, I could not hold a minute of casual conversation with, namely JxMMy D...

I don't I think it's my own problem, I could not find interesting topics to talk about anymore, which is why "gossiping" about people we know or well-known celebrities is always the best way and as my colleagues and friends could verify, I'm perhaps the only guy who goes full-blast indulging in gossips, which sometimes I thought I should start working for a tabloid or have my own entertianment news program to expose the skeletons in the celebrities' closets...

Well although I could not engage in an one-to-one conversation, I love a group chat session (no not MIRC or MSN messenger).. because there would be someone else who you might find points of interest to talk to, if not it would just be awkward and everyone dispatched in no time (that is of course I'm chatting with a group of JxMMy Ds)...The presence of 1 or 2 bubbly characters or livewires are evry important, and of course the "suan-ing" element in which the scorning and provoking sure help cook up the chatting atmosphere to a whole new level for sure...

I doubt I would be chatting up with any female acquintance anytime soon with so many things I need to do at my own time (which I need about 48 hours a day for myself at least); and definitely doubt I could be calling HZ again in the next quarter of the century because her constant whining sure would not add any useful meaning to my life...
Japanese word of the day: うわさ話をする ~u-wa-sa-ba-nashi o su-ru~ (gossip) I love to do so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home