ぼくの日記

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Holiday that Doesn't Matter Much Anymore Part 1

5th January 2006, Thursday

It is blasphemous for the Lunar New Year to fall in the morning of January when everyone is just recovering the hurt of the financial state from the X'mas-New Year period...
Most importantly it rendered the month of February to a barren state of no public holidays which is something to moan about (Valentine's don't count)

The Lunar New Year period is a great opportunity for some retailers, most importantly food stuffs quiessential for the occasion to hard sell their products.

Therefore the first sign that the New Year is coming is from the advertisement on local TV which having the likes of Fann Wong pretending to be infatuated with some crescent-brand abalone or a young Zoe Tay with rebond hair nibbling on a piece of bak gua (BBQed pork) while the voice-over of Jack Neo asking her whether she is eating chewing gum...
But the latest and most outrageous one I had just watched last evening is one with Michelle Chia and a friend talking about auspicious Chinese idiom when the very buxomy English-speaking friend opened up a fridge filled only with a popular European lager to Michelle's astonishment (I would as well..where is the Red-Spot Orange Juice and Kickapo?!)
Amazingly that very moment, a platoon of friends came knocking at the front door for a visit and I am surprised it isn't the drunk Indian buggers at my void deck asking for more alcohol intoxication...
Seriously the only aspect that grasped my focus is the cleavage of Michelle's friend ...er...nevermind

Seriously Chinese New Year is a time for relatives and friends to get together to whine about their lives as always...and in my household for my aunties from my paternal side to quibble about nothing at all..ooh yeah got me so excited...

It's a season the kids binge on..just look at it, a good 2 and half days off from school (half day for the eve and looking at this year make it 4 and a half days with the weekends as well)
They get to don in their new clothing, recieve enough red packets you can make a lantern usinig the packets alone and consume all the goodies perhaps their elders would frowned upon in normal time...
I used to love Chinese New Year, of course I love the ang-pows much more..but in recent years the measly amount always contributed to some lavish yet non-filling Valentine's dinner and gifts for my lass...
But the mood gets very much diluted as years pass and it seems like any other holidays these days (think Deepavali, Hari Raya and Vesak Day)

Plus of course this is the last year I would be receiving the customary red packets which at my age is quite awkward to take...NAH..who am I kidding? If anyone is willing to give me money I would grabbed it without a question ask..heehee
But the disturbing thought would be having to dish out red packets myself next year...urgh...
Gonna plan for a quick get-away for the next Chinese New Year....

More on this tomorrow...

Just a note:
As I went for gym this morning, I was alarmed to know that some of the patrons actually wrapped the key for the lockers to keep our belongings while we sweat it out in the gym, around their ankle where the smelly, sweaty socks are underneath....
I had been wearing it around me wrist all these while..talk about hygiene issue here...anyway managed to catch hold of the specific number of the key, "32"
Will try to avoid that in the future...
I managed to chat with the crew of the gym before my work out and it seems like they are trying hard to rectify the water pressure issue which did not recurred today...
Japanese word of the day: 親類 (Relatives) Some are just good to see once a year and not any much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home