ぼくの日記

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Looking Back the Year in 5 Glances...

27th December 2005, Tuesday

Boxing day by tradition has nothing to do with Mohammad Ali nor Mike Tyson but really is for everyone to really open up all their X'mas present, be surprised (grossed out/ irked/ mooted/ all of the above) by what your friends and family had got you and analyze how fruitful your haul is for the year, make judgement of certain people and perhaps cursed you shouldn't had spent $20 more on some totally useless novelty items for a colleague who just bought you some "lelong lelong buy one get 2 free" face-wash from Body Shop...

As for myself zilch is the number of presents I got this year except for that festive toffee candies my supervisor got for all the guys in the department (which I still left a handful in some chasm in the refrigerator since last X'mas)...

However I did indulge in some un-boxing of some of my collections which I took out from the layer of dust settled on them after being neglected under my bed for a good few months...
I find it's always have a calming effect to assemble my figurines, take some elegant pictures for my webpage while watching some long-winded Taiga dorama like "Yoshitsune" which can get you heated up for some unscruplous acts the despicable villains in the show can commit...

As East Asia mourn for the 1st anniversary of the major earthquake in Indonesia which resulted in devastating tsunami in the Indian Ocean, claiming the lives of 300,000 innocent people and we SIngaporeans still couldn't get over the fact that T.T. Dulan can get scot-free for embezzling the money of donors over the years, I think my Boxing day was pretty well spent (except after 3 days, I still only got 50% done for the Music Station Super Live video file which amounts to an enormous 3.35GB!!)

Anyway as we usher into the brand new year (hmmm...very typical line you will hear repeatedly on local television networks this time of the year), I would like to review a rather eventful 2005 for the next 5 days as I present the "Top 5 Events that Have Rippling Effects in my Life"

Nr. Fünf (No. 5 in German) : Me, My PC & Internet

I find my dependance of my computer and internet has developed n a chronic fashion over the past year...

I started this blog way back in April, hoping to chroniclize some notable events in my otherwise monotonous life and now it has became an important aspect of my everyday routine (almost) to come online to scribble a few sentences (make that 4 full pages of essay) to really whine about anything under the sun...

I really love the fact that I could spread my love for my toy collection to a worldwide fellow toys collectors (if they even bother) since last year but having a free webhost domain is always a pain in the ass with respect with the irritating pop-up advertisements as well as limited storage space..but when the entire domain just disappeared into thin air, it was the last straw for me as I broke my piggy bank and gathered every penny I have got to get a domain from a reliable web host provider and now my life is so much more fun, maintaining a webpage about capsule toys which no one really cared about...hooray...

Of course internet has been a wealthy resource of information and things money couldn't buy (which I really shouldn't blabber out loud as it my infringe certain copyright or intellectual property shit laws out there) but all I can say it sure brighten up my life a full ten yards...
But don't forget it could be a bane when you are get caught at work doing what you might not be evn allowed to do at home...oops...

With my life and time well intertwined with the cyberspace, you can figure it out how incensed I would get if my computer and the hardware are not working properly at all...
First my old Dell PC which is way passed it's prime finally call it a day in September which was a blessing in disguise as I bought a way much powerful machine to satisfy my IT needs but it is not without its glitches when it took me a full month to figure out what's wrong with that DVD writer which could not burn DVDs at all when it turned out that the problem actually lies on that cheap bunch of DVD-Rs I bought...

All was very well till the my 80GB portable hard disk drive died on me just days back, barely 8 months in service...
It was really oxymoron when I buy it for that portability to transfer files from one location to another but due to the flimsy nature of the HDD I am advised not to shift it around too much..what BS is that?!
Although I have like 3 years of warranty to ensure I got a new replacement everytime one got bonkers (WHAT?!), the precious files within are not that easy to acquire all over again...
So now I am really looking forward and praying everynight before I go to bed that CS' lobang can actually help to do the impossible that is to retrieve that data stuck within a dead HDD at minimal cost...

Well I believe in the coming year, my dependance on the internet as well as my computer is gonna to poliferate into a whole new level, so I truly hope I don't get another opportunity to get cranky over a spoiled hardware or jittery over some of the stuffs I do online...


Japanese word of the day: 箱~ha-ko~ (Box) Actually you should consider yourself lucky if you get a cheap Bodyshop faciai wash from anyone, I once got a bottle of eyewash which I didn't dare to touch till this very day...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home