ぼくの日記

Friday, January 06, 2006

The Holiday that Doesn't Matter Much Anymore Part 2

6th January 2006, Friday

Continuation of yesterday's scribble on the Lunar New Year:

Usually it takes a good full month to do all the preparations...
which always include stocking up all the New Year goodies (which is really ironic when many people complain they will have a lot of food left because everyone seems to buy the same old thing from households to households)...

Then there is spring cleaning...which really makes completely no sense as in Singapore there's no coming of spring when in the first place there is no winter...
Anyway for many it's a rare opportunity to square up your domain and for a person like myself with tens of thousands of figurines littering my entire floor perimeter, it would be autumn again when I had done with the cleaning...so I guess I wouldn't really bother this year...
Then there is the decorations with some traditional ornaments which in the auspicious red & gold and I am not talking about what Elton John might be wearing...

It's amazing that hordes of locals would venture into the madness call Chinatown, claiming to mix in the festive mood which is not advisable for those claustrophobic like myself..and I am not even touching on those wanting to stick that very first joss stick in all renowned temples when the new year arrives, which supposed to bless you for the entire (for e.g. strike a 2 million dollars worth of Toto lottery)

Then there is the hoo-haa about getting the best clothing to welcome the year...the older generations held the taboo of not to touch black/grey and any other darker tone colors for the festive period..seriously it's not like Ozzie Osbourne & the entire band of Dir en grey would actual coming ruin your New Year by biting off the head of a bat or something with blood spilling all over..hey blood is red in color..so perhaps that's auspicious...
I used to enjoy shopping for clothing but after a while realising that tank of a phyique I am carrying would never look good in any fashion apparels out there I just stick to T shirt and jeans...

Seriously I had total zero anticipation for a holiday used to matter so much to me... man I have became a hermit with little concern about anything at all...

Anyway there's the grand opening of the gym I frequent and there had a line-up including free health screening, massaging by visually handicapped society and a threadmill initian by a guest of honour...perhaps he would step on that loose shoe lace and sprawl off the moving threadmill..
Last but not least "PUMP UP THE BHANGRA!!"...there's a belly bhangra demo..by the good brothers Ranjit and Amajit..wooh yeah...
It began at 5 but unlike YM, I didn't bother to go check it out, I headed straight home for this final day at work...
Japanese word of the day: 赤い~a-ka-i~(Red)I'm sure the VIP of the grand opening would be red-face after his unexpected fall from grace, just the right color to prepare for the New Year!!