ぼくの日記

Thursday, July 05, 2007

京都: 全部城と神社ですか。

5th July 2007, Thursday

I've camped at my workstation for the past 2 days or so with the lack of lab work scheduled for me, so basically just some data management stuff which can be sending me to extreme boredom while causing my eyes to see vertigo after fixating it to the monitor browsing wikipedia on gay musicians...er..I mean working on my data...

Somehow all the bosses are not around, and the entire office just seems pleasantly quiet and dormant...

Been researching on Kyoto with high chance we might be visiting the old capital of Japan back in the Edo period...
However thus far the attractions look kind of bleak to me..
Then again we are there to savor the wonderful colors of an autumn that actually last unlike Hokkaido, so a place like Nanzenji is a must go to indulge in the myriad of colors of maple leaves in autumn...
The temple is minutes walk from Ginkakuji , the silver pavilion, which pales in cpmparison to Kinkakuji or the Golden Pavilion which really is made with gold and seems to be a must-go when in Kyoto...
Otherwise most of the attractions seem to be focus on the selection of castles, shrines or temples which might not bat an eyelid if you are not there with the purpose of basking in the culture and heritage...
However there is Gion, the famous geisha district, the Iga Ninja Museum to get a feel of one of the famous ninja clan featured in the movie "Shinobi" or go for some hotspring in the village of Kurama..
Of course since we are in the Kansai region, we are at close proximity to Osaka where we can shop at Namba or Umeda or have a short guided trip to Nara...
All in all with a planned ryokan (旅館) stay in Central Kyoto city, we are set to fully enjoy the true authenticity of olden Japan...

On the flip side, we will have to miss the famous night scenery of Hakodate, wonderful ice-cream and musical box from Otaru and the delectable uni (sea urchin)-rice from Nishii fish market in Sapporo, but considering how much time we might have spent on traveling just to commute to the northern island of Japan as well as in the unfamiliarity to the prefecture despite being there once, I think we will leave it for another trip...

And with Kyoto barely 140 minutes trip to Tokyo, I can bring my sister and her beau to grace the hustle and bustle of the capital of Japan despite my missus might be a bit sick of it..then again a 2 days Mt. Fuji-Hakone-onsen tour might rouse her interest...

Still a good 2-3 months to plan which depends on when autumn descend in West Honshu so that we can finalize the departure date...so might be too early to get excited about everything...

Finally a good example of how good customer service is from Cathay cineplexes beside that infamous case of over-reservation for early bird movie tickets for "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" a few years back...
My missus went to the box office to purchase the tickets for a 1.40pm show for "Transformers" at the newly-opened cineplex at AMK Hub which promised the stadium-style cinema...
After sending out the SMS to my wrecker-buddies, my good ol' buddy told me he might be able to make it on time for the show at lunchtime due to a lunch commitment with his cousins...
Since it will be an inaugural movie outing for the 4 of us, I wanna make it happen so I dropped an enquiry to the HQ of Cathay to see whether we can change the tickets for a later timing since the show is still days away and availability of the tickets shouldn't be an issue...
I was expecting them to return mail the following day but the reply came almost instantly to grant me my wish and further bolster my belief that Cathay, beside their good seats, wonderful DTS surround sound system and tasty pop-corns, actually give a damn about their customers unlike other larger cineplex franchise out there...
And to add the chery topping, we got some discount off the regular price of movie ticket on a Sunday due to a credit card special from my wife...yippee!

Japanese word of the day: 神社(Shrine) Trust me you will get bored after visiting the 2nd successive shrine or temple on the same day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home