ぼくの日記

Monday, September 24, 2007

Wish I Work in Tampines

24th September 2007, Monday

When the wind was howling resiliently while I was taking my morning showers, a storm was beckoning and at the worst time possible...the peak hour Monday morning...
To compound the misery to getting pretty drenched as I pranced towards the MRT station, I felt a terrible stomachache merely seconds from leaving my block... which didn't took me long to gallop back home to alleviate the pain...
It was near 8 am when I got to the train platform and with a 45 minutes train ride to be anticipated, I would reach office shy of 9 am...
Not that it really matters with a chronic lack of work for me to dwell upon, which is why I am doing this post to keep myself awake...

One person who would have difficulties keeping herself awake would be my missus who came home by the stroke of 1 am after yet another long-winded "educational" seminar for her sideline...
Despite I once again stamped my disapproval and frowned about treating the home like a hotel more than anything, she would be oblivious to what anyone else feels in her fervent pursue of her dream...

Back to the traveling to work part...Went to Tampines for our weekly badminton session which was a fresh move for us who had been sticking with the West (Clementi, Delta) or Central (Yio Chu Kang, Bishan, Toa Payoh) but the inability to grab a court from any of the above-mentioned sports hall meaning that it would be EK's turf for this Sunday...
Of course everyone was cynical of the decision especially with the likes of Karen living at the other end of the island, but it turned out to me a master stroke for myself...
I was contemplating of whether to attend the session but got up in time and only strolled to the bus-stop by the main road by 8.30am, half an hour before the badminton begins...
Lady Luck was apparently shining on me as the bus I was vindicated to take, arrive as I descended from the overhead bridge, and the entire busride didn't even took 30 minutes before I got to Tampines bus terminal once again highlighting the joy of cruising on the SLE-TPE...
The sports hall was a stone throw away which makes things even better...The hall was well populated by badminton enthusiasst from the East but more people spell more rubbish to be littered as we noticed how unsightly the hall turns out to be with plastic bottles and even banana skins found littering all over...At least the dressing room is more presentable than it's Clementi counterpart...
Beside Ek & missus, Chan & Karen made up the miserable line-up this week due to the combination of locality and the heavy rain which doused the entire island soon after.. But we had a good time playing consecutive games of badminton nonstop, and once again the curse combi of me & Chan remains even with a change of venue...
After the game we had our lunch at Tampines Mall and I was like a child at the candy store for the first time, was marveled by how "happening" the mall was after a good decade of hiatus from this place...
With a mood for impromptu activity, we bought tickets for "The Invasion", a remake of the classic sci-fi movie, "The Invasion of the Bodysnatchers"... although I was actively lobbying for "I Now Pronounce You Chuk & Larry" instead...
The alien invasion which was sort of mocking how the earth is a degenerative place with wars and disputes (mainly due to the Americans as portrayed) and perhaps the invasion of alien life sources from outer space seems to be the most ideal solution to nulify the growing tension...
Not a bad alien invasion movie with a bit of Resident Evil feel and of course I was impressed how 40 years old Nicole Kidman still look radiant and remains in great shape...
Another mere 25 minutes bus ride got me home under the unforgiving Sunday afternoon sun...

This got me thinking of how fortunate I would be if I was bestowed an opportunity to work in the Tampines Business park as my chum, Foo now with AXN....
Speaking of which while meeting up with all the Japan-loving clique including Sel, Cher & even Foo's lass, Mich whom I had not seen for a long while now, my buddy told us how he would be ending his short tenure at the above-mentioned television network after being disenchanted by the management and in sought of an elusive position of the same sort at ESPN...
It was part of our 4 hours-long catching up at the TCC cafe just across Sunshine Plaza after Sel and myself had paid a visit at the unusually-crowded JTB saloon,,,
I did managed to purchase the remaining 2 items for my Japan trip, the 7-days JR pass and the Sunrise tour for Mt. Fuji which I was fortunate to have a rare 5% discount on.
From Cher's solemnization and flat-renovation details to Mich's purported trip to Russia to Sel's desire to stay at a lake at Kyoto none of us had even heard of, we spent a lazy Saturday afternoon occupying the corner of the cafe though the bean-bags and arty-farty short cushion seats aren't exactly the most comfortable furniture...
Sel's beau, Kev also made an appearance..Perhaps he's reeling from his long reservist stint or just his usual indifferent nature, he remained pretty quiet throughout till I pulled out the name of our mutual NUS friend, the eccentric Thomas Kong whom Kev still kept close contacts with and I hope to meet up very soon...

It was more chatting for me the evening before as the reunion dinner at NYDC with my previous colleagues, the 3 Witches which took a good month in the making was realized and to spice things up the infamous Old Hag who would be a central topic for the night for her unbelievable departure from our old workplace actually dine with her family in the same restaurant...
Not that we had to be conscious about her noticing our presence and even the audacity to eavesdrop our conversation; she should know over her years of ruling the institute with her iron hands, she surely had made more foes than friends, and the unanimous support of her oust was shared from co-workers from part and present...
Despite the poor ventilation and at latter stages, the worsening air conditioning of the NYDCHolland V branch, we had a hearty time recollecting the good times and ultimately I believe the 3 girls forged a close bond which is unsurpassed by our current breed of co-workers especially our quest against the much-loathed JxMMy D...

Well if we could be working side by side this lifetime in a workplace perhaps as conveniently accessed as Tampines, then we can have more time to indulge in hearty chats at regular basis...

Japanese word of the day: 雑談 (Chat) I can be a real chatterbox if I am comfortable with the people I am with...most of the time too much for my own good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home