ぼくの日記

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Jumbo Jet & Burnt Childhood

18th October 2007, Thursday

The big news in town was the arrival of SIA's first Airbus A380, the world's largest freight aircraft to Changi International Airport from Toulouse, France last evening...
It was revolutionary in the field of passenger airline and airport facilities I supposed to handle such a jumbo jet and the nation took pride that our well-celebrated airline was the first to clinch the airbus and deems it operational by the 25th this month, in it's maiden flight to Sydney...
The airbus was graced by our Prime Minister and the arrival was telecast live on Channel News Asia and surely was the talk of the town

Joe & Petrina of the "Morning Show" of SPH's Radio 91.3 were making a big hoo-haa this morning over the 18 months-delay of the A380 and even playing with BGM of the famous Star Wars tune...
One point that they brought up was that with the luxurious business class seat which can transformed into a full size bed for the most satisfying rest a passenger can get over a long flight...it would be the best for someone like myself who had difficulty getting to sleep on planes... which hinder me from fying to destination of more than 8 hours from Singapore...
Then there was the New Suite which features a queen size bed for couples which Joe & Petrina brought out might means some hanky-panky business since it was a fascination of many to make out at high altittude...

2 evenings ago one of my childhood playground was burnt to ground....
Up until I was in lower Secondary, my godmother had a hawker stall in this hawker center in Ang Mo Kio, selling prawn noodles..
Since Mom was helping out there when before Sis was born as well as my elementary school was around the vicinity, I spent a great deal of my chilhood days there...
I remembered indulging in hide-and-seek at a void deck just above the hawker center with my cousins, having a great time at a swing nearby or having my first ice ball (something like ice kachang but no fillings)...
Suddenly the hawker center was reduced to mere debris as a result of a massive fire which engulfed the big hawker center...
The hawkers, some of whom I might still know were surely affected by the inferno but lost too was part of my childhood memories...so let's hope the place got rejuvenated soon enough...

There had been some pretty interesting Chinese variety program on local TV..one of which known as "Say it if You Dare", featuring Mark Lee & Jeff Wang globe-trotting around, much like a travelogue program with a twist as they had to pick up local languages to have full conversation with the locals, accomplishing tasks they set for themselves and generally making a fool out of themselves...
Previous episodes see them lingering the streets of Seoul, as well as at both sides of the Myanmar-Thailand border...
Last evening see them flying to Japan, my furusato... (shamelessly mentioned that to Yuu-kun the other day when he asked me why I visit Japan so many times)
Beside getting into laughing fits for the difficulties the hosts faced to converse in Japanese, the places they traveled such as Ameyayokocho in Ueno, Tokyo, Koiwai Farm in Morioka, Iwate and having a great deal of fun with Wanko Soba... sure brings back great memories, and it couldn't come in a more suitable time with the Kansai-Kanto trip to come in a fortnight's time... Excitement is in the air...just need to get my final itinerary up and hope I can sleep like a baby on my JAL flight as I would on a suite of the Airbus A380...

Japanese word of the day: 運動場 (Playground) *With the Melody of Madonna's "This Used to be my Playground"... ~This used to be my playground...This used to be where I wet my pants...~


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home