ぼくの日記

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Sports Fan who Don't Watch Live Sports

23rd October 2007, Tuesday

It had been another exciting weekend in the sporting arena....
Kimi Raikkonen of the Ferrari team grabbed the championship of the Formula One 2007 season from the 3rd placing before the last round under the grasp of the McClaren duo, Fernando Alonso and young upstart, Lewis Hamilton...
Meanwhile over in Stade Denis, Paris, France, South Africa pipped England in the final of the Rugby World Cup 2007 final to shatter the dream of the English of successfully defending their title which they attained in 2003...

Seriously I am more of a soccer/football guy and at this point of my life, have no access to a single bit of live sporting events and just garnered by information through news of all mediums...
Our local free-to-air TV is now completely void of any sporting events less local soccer league or an occasional golfing event or even pool/snooker...
Of course in time of World Cup or Olympics or regional sporting meets like the SEA Games will offer some sports-hungry viewers a glimpse of top athletes in action...
The sports tier offered by Starhub Cable TV at $25 a month is way to costly for me to afford since I find the necessity to watch sports live since the internet provide up-to-date scores or results as instantaneous at zero cost...

A bit of a contradiction would be I actually can't sit through live sports these days, perhaps not even soccer, and think the bite-size highlights on news or magazine shows are good enough to arm me with the facts to chat with my friendly gym instructor, Farul who is a big fan of sports of almost all kind...
I think I am also fascinated by the drama during the sporting event when written in the report by seasoned sports journalist and pundits alike which can bring the dullest sports (i.e. cricket or chess into life)

In balls game, they always said the ball is round and the results can swing anywhere...
The "darkhorses" or "underdogs" are always the best to bring excitement to an otherwise sports monopoly which neutral fans hate to see...
Like in Raikkonen's feat, it was justice to see him getting the awards since McClaren was caught in the wrath of an espionage scandal with Ferrari and the British based team had all sorts of internal squabbles which is shameful...
I think people always want to see justice to be see out in sports but the best part of it has to be the unpredictable nature of it (unless the scores had been rigged)...
We also love to see a crestfallen sports star rising from the ashes like a phoenix to stake their claim in the sporting world...be concerning drug usage, illegal betting, personal life scandal or even life-threatening injuries...

Perhaps my days with the Football Manager game series, I had been pretty into stats much like the Americans with their own professional team sports like basketball, baseball, ice hockey & American football.
I love the way when pundits dig it deep into the archives to reveal stats we would not recall as our brain cells couldn't possibly remember sporting archives of decades away as well as educating the new generation of the tradition...
Stats is also a great way to access the value of a sportsman/ sportswoman as well as their talent...

I think I will continue to do without live sports on TV but will try my best to continue monitor the latest updates in the sporting scene which can sure be a great topic for ice-breaker with strangers (especially guys)...I supposed

Japanese word of the day: スポーツ ~Su-po-tsu~(Sports) I doubt I will ever give a hoot about cricket or boating anytime soon though


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home