ぼくの日記

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Changing World Climate & Mine

18th March 2008, Tuesday

It surely isn't a jolly period to live in since the turn of 2008....
The increasing worries of a major economic recession, starting with the global big brother, the United States of America, due to the subprime mortgage crisis and compounded with rising oil and gold prices...
The rippling effects with hit Europe and Asia for sure and many common people like you and I just hope it wouldn't affect us so much with our pristine government perhaps install an impenetrable aegis to shelter us from the effect...like real

The first sign of the problem would be the oil prices hitting record high just a week ago and now motorists are reeling from the effect of the high cost of petroleum which might brought about more expensive utility prices as well as another hike in public transport...

The global warming is still a major issue which set the solemn tone worldwide but major nations are trying to put it on a mend but surely not without a cause...
The constant fear of global terrorism (though some suggested that US might be the biggest terrorist themselves) also make us wonder if the planet is actually worth living in for the next few decades

The depressing note aside, I felt what is the most important now or for the next few years or so would be having a solid career, a clean slate of health and the importance of my loved ones to be around me for support...

Domestic-wise, my family unit is still holding strongly but a new member in terms of a baby seems highly unlikely not in the next year or so....
Psychologically I am definitely unprepared to be a father, we also have to analyse the financial side of things...Just really complicated to figure out in this period...
Meanwhile the missus revived her yearn of a car but the oil prices as well as the rising COE might not be the most attractive time to get one as well...

Health-wise, she got me on her complex weighing machine on Saturday and it seems I have high percentage of visceral fats and have a state of a 44 years-old... Sure is not the best piece of news
I am sure it could be my dietary practises that contributed to this and seems like the regular workout has reached it's plateau... Perhaps might need to change some health aspect in my life and perhaps get some supplements she suggest that can rid of those fats....

Finally career-wise, as mentioned a promotion seems likely on its way, after which it seems things will remain stale for the next few years or so...
The environment now is surely not the best time we had for a while... People at work just doesn't gets along though politicking might be just in one's mind...
I tried to continue to impress but work has been stifling on my part; I am also afraid this period of inactivity may make me daunted by increased workload in months to come...
A close confidante at work (shouldn't be hard to figure out the identity) is set to leave for greener pastures in next months or so...
She had been disillusioned with her incumbent role here and felt unappreciated by the superiors...
Her departure will have a few effects on me... I will miss her presence and surely by that point i am basically on my own
But at least it might not be depressing to listen to her constant whining about certain personnel she loathed and I could start afresh...

On a personal point of view, I am sure I would remain stagnant here and I had be pondering for a while now what I really look into for a career...
Over here it offers alot of flexibility and I am sure it really would be advantageous to someone like myself who needs alot of domestic time away from work...
But on the flip side is that there is very little room for progress and with no chance of overtime, the pay package would remain the same on monthly basis... pay increments and promotions would taken a backseat unless I really impress the superiors...
In local context the best way to progress surely has to be job-hopping, but that is not the kind of career move I am aiming...

Seeing how someone like Edmund who began working at around the same time as myself had strove to become a manager to a respectable energy company and earning big bucks sure makes one green with envy...
But his situation is totally different from mine...He has no family to cater to and working was the only way he can identify himself with... It's pure toiling and certain luck on his side for his progression over the past 5 years...
I did asked the missus would she felt indifferent about me if I remain status quo down the road...
Living wouldn't be hard but we most probably would have to worry about measly money now and then...
She had her dreams and I hope she fulfilled it but I am not really sure about my own dream in years to come...

I am turning 30 this year which makes and break one's career seriously
By 35, we might become a tangible option for most recruiting companies as age would not be on our side,,
I used to be 40 somethings but surely times had changed..job security is almost unheard of I am sure
So it is always good to think of other career options...Let's hope I will find mine soon...

Alright enough of the serious tone...

Japanese word of the day: キャリア (Career) How would you carve out your career? Better start early...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home