ぼくの日記

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Incoming Bull Run

28th January 2009, Wednesday

So the Lunar New Year came and gone...work resumes on this day but a truncated week should see us still buoyed in festivities mood surely....

The new year brings in what they call the "golden ox" but the wave of retrenchment in many sound companies like Caterpillar and Pfizer surely seems like the ox is trying to replace human in terms of employment...Ultimately we just had to slog like an ox to ensure we have a job to keep the money in by the end of the day.

The preparation of the New Year didn't started off on the right foot when yen rate as compared for Singapore dollars rose to unprecedented (or at least since I start noticing the rate because of traveling to my motherland) rate of 1.72!
While really setback on my plan of exchanging at 1.55 just weeks ago, it also resulted in my good friend over at La Tendo to increase their new stock according to the rate.
However that was not the sole excuse to jack the price of a set of prized item figurines (Part 1 out of 11) which I had my eyes on to collect for this year to $210 for mere 7 figurines...and each is barely as tall as my right thumb?!
I'm sure it was down to terrible assortment issue that the lads resorted to such exorbitant means but still I just couldn't help ranting about it...surely not worth to pay so much...money saved in such hard times for sure...

Pretty much the same old routine for the next few days just a change of schedule and scenery here and there....
Met up some relatives who we had not seen for a while now and I developed a sweet tooth over the course of the few days and now it seemed body was inflamed with the heatiness from all those New year delicacies.
Dialed "999" for the 1st time in my life to get the police to inspect a rampant stomping of the door of my Malay neighbors a level below us which woke the family at 12 midnight on the 1st day of the New year. Turned out it wasn't loan shark or a drunken man as we fear but our inconsiderate neighbors themselves as their grandpa with hearing impairment had padlocked the main door...don't they know of a technology called telephone?!
Got a ride on my brother-in-law's luxury toy, his BMW wagon which was surely a state of the art and comfort included....
Played some mahjong with the family when Lady Luck smiled on my old man and my missus who were just picking the game as of late...talk about beginners' luck...

The coming year by some almanac fortune-telling would be quite okay for those under the year of horse with our lucky color white (yes....white socks everyday). Need to curb on my temperament and seemingly I will meet my fated benefactor...let's hope so....

Meanwhile with the New Year gone, all I can look forward to now is the start of a new S League season and of course my trip to Japan in 2 weeks time....

Japanese word of the day: ウシ ~U-shi~ (Ox) Yah better not blow it off like a bull in the china shop this year

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home