ぼくの日記

Monday, October 26, 2009

Hilchryme & Old Doramas

26th October 2009, Monday

This song had become an ear worm since this morning:



It's the second single under major label for Niigata based R&B (I don't really know if that is the correct genre but they all sounded the same in Japan), Hilchryme.

In truth there had been many pretentious rapping performers in the J Pop scene for the past few years, churned out a catchy tune then fade into obscurity.
Hilchryme might be one of those but this song should win them some fad-chasing fans for sure.

When they appeared on last Friday's Music Station, the vocals, looking like a pimp from Kabukicho with flashy shades and his DJ friend like all DJs in other groups just kept words to the minimum, sounded pretty poor live but once again the song caught on for sure.
Many acts had sold plenty after appearing on Music Station, and it looked probable that this single might do well in coming weeks as well.

The title of the track "春夏秋冬 (Shunkashuutou)" which for Chinese understanding people like myself represents the four seasons and the lyrics also stresses alot on the characteristic features of the seasons which the Japanese people are obsessed with, namely cherry blossoms (spring), sea (summer), red leaves (autumn) and snow (winter).
Songs for a specific season are big sellers which will come back years after years but one which covered all seasons...hmmmm

The weekend went past very much to plan.
I did not want to go out as it was like 34 degree on daily basis and only drop a couple of degrees at night.
The fuse in my water heater blew up spontaneously the other day and it would take a big deal to replace it with another (we did have a spare), so we have to make do with cold water till my parents come back from their short Hong Kong escapde.
It is find considering the water will warm up by natural forces ultimately.

Last weekend was one I got frustrated in front of the PC with Football Manager and next weekend with the missus heading northwards again, I am facing the prospect of being the captain of a ship with no seamen, a long voyage indeed.
So this weekend I just tried to dabble with a median among the two but time flies real fast and not much was accomplished I felt.

One thing did piqued my interest when I was doing a wiki check on Yuji Oda. I had forgotten why I did it anyway but I stumbled on a classic 1996 TBS dorama, "Mahiru no Tsuki (真昼の月)" or "Midday Moon" in English.

This was the first dorama which I took attention of Takako Tokiwa but it was the memorable plot which involved the plight of a victim of a brutal rape as well as the man so dedicated to her that kept me following the show back in those days when Central was known as Premiere 12 and they showed English-subbed Japanese dorama on weekday nights. Good Times.
The theme song, "Now You're Not Here" is a hypnotic track which just suited the mood of the series.

Of course I do not think I knew anyone who had the series that old on VCD but with the magic of online streaming, the entire library of classic doramas is not a click of the mouse away.
The quality is shoddy but I could care less and it was easy to finish the 12 episodes within hours spread between 2 days.
Now I am reminiscing another dorama from that era "Jinsei wa Jyo Jyo da"(人生は上々だ)" or "Friends in Need" (badly translated) starring the star combination of TakuKimu and Hamada from Down Town.
I was in love of Yuriko Ishida and Naoko Ijima from that show and really worth a second watch.

Japanese word of the day: 経典(Classic) Serious doramas these days could not hold the candle to those old classic despite having higher production value

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home