ぼくの日記

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Be Careful Next Time

25th October 2007, Thursday

"Please be careful next time"...
5 simple words which really haunts me at work somehow when my French supervisor said it...
Although my ailing passion for my job is well documented, whenever I was assigned with a task, I will do it with my best, hopefully to impress the superiors but ultimately refrained from making any grave mistakes which could take the sheen off my work and might affect my appraisal...
At the end of the day, it'e the performance bonus and promotion which matters...

The day began in a rather sour note when I was all hyped up to proceed with a step of my platform protocols, I realized my reagents are dwindling which shouldn't be the case as there should be some allocated for a project that follows the current one...
I started to get jittery, trying to recall if I could have misplaced them or worse still threw them away unknowingly.. However I had always been vigilant when come to the reagents which cost so much more I wonder I could ever earn in this lifetime...
If I had unfortunately misplaced it, my job would be on the line or worse I may need to pay the company back...
It truly took it's toll on my mood and my groove at work..
After some hasty investigation, I found out that the company might had missed those batch of reagents and I myself had not been alert enough to notice it, perhaps being complacent as the rest of the reagents came in the correct number...
I had been scoffing off His Beautiness for his poor house-keeping but in the end, karma (as Earl loves to put it) had came and haunt me...

The shipment was made exactly 3 months ago and looking at the track records of our vendor (who earnt a truckload from us by the way) would attempt to shrug off any responsibility with their delivery errors...
Fortunately I buzzed their regional manager who said he would help me check it out and if indeed they had missed that out, they would sent it us eventually...
I felt relief for a split second as the probability of that is true would be 50-50...

I duly admitted the mistake to my French supervisor and as expected she was taken aback by the news...
Although eventually she felt its another classic case of "to err is human" (which in my case had been pretty often these days), I was gutted by my inexcusable mistake...

Perhaps it's pride ...perhaps it's ego...I just couldn't forgive myself to not spot the discrepancy in the stock...

Speaking of pride, or more of dignity, our arrogant American boss waltzed into the lab yesterday afternoon and gleefully mentioned to His Beautiness that our ex-colleague, the chronically taciturn KM who recently made headlines in our department for tendering his resignation at his transient teaching stint, citing disillusioned of the school system as the cause of eating up his passion for educating the next generation; would be joining our group once again doing the same duties...

The same duties which he hated to the core due to the routine nature...
However we knew the financial status of his family was bleak and he is the breadwinner, so the choice of rejoining must be money-motivated...

Upon hearing that he would return, the likes of BY (who is always very expressive) started rattling of how pathetic can he get to come back, and she would not want to speak to him if he did came back...

However it was the words of our tactless boss which really make the situation even more awkward...
He mentioned that it is close 100% on his records that his ex-staff who left for greener pastures, would come crawling back with their tails between their legs...If you are well-versed of the meaning, it seems like those to returned to his flagship is without a trace of self-dignity and further supplemented to his well-known biggety & smug nature....

I felt if KM has heard what the contemptuous California-native had said, he would really think twice about coming back...which was exactly the case when XY told him via MSN the same evening, and without a 2nd thought, he rebutted that he had his pride to protect and he would turn down the offer from our bosses...
This sure draws some empathy from us and glad that at least he is dignified enough as a man...
The job market is still buzzing at the moment, he surely would find a good job, at least one with out an insolently tactless boss...
However I personally felt that I may have wrecked his need of a rice bowl and support his family when I encouraged XY to tell him those words...but we did try to seek job opportunities for him to consider...

Once again, our Shitty boss had couldn't said the worst thing, and we all knew at the end of the day, he may not had meant what he said, but somehow I still felt there is some truth in his words...

I like my current job environment and the job nature and of course the pay package, so I would see this buffoonery as no concern of mine unless he really start step on my tail...
I hope to stay here for long (as long as I don't commit more mistakes as mentioned and spoiled my own records) but if I do leave, I would surely not come back again..as I felt I am more of a man than a creature with its tail between its legs...

Japanese word of the day:気転 (tact) I thought even if you are born without it, as you grew up and come in contact with more people, you should learn to be more tactful, but obviously I am wrong

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home