ぼくの日記

Monday, July 13, 2009

Buying and Selling

13th July 2009, Monday

There have been a flurry of buying of I would say items of luxury in my household of late.

I had overheard from my folks that they had been contemplating on a new refrigerator since the existing Sanyo one was getting pretty run down. I supposed it had been around for more than 5 years now and I always thought it should last till the end of time.
Then of course my household greatly utilized the fridge and freezer due to our culinary preference to eat in.
The new Hitachi fridge had a really sleek chassis and with at least 3 ticks in saving electricity, it was surely a good buy. They even managed to scratch a lucky draw card which award them some vouchers that enable them to get a rice cooker for Sis' new place... Double good deal!

This weekend marked the appearance of the new iPhone 3GS which sent the entire nation into a frantic queue at the Comcenter for it.
I scorned at their "jump on the bandwagon" syndrome and made fun of them braving the drizzle and wastage of precious time....
But wait who's that familiar face in the midst of the human snake...It's my wife!?

Yes my fickle-minded missus who had been switching her target for a smart phone for ages now finally got her eye on the iPhone 3GS.
Like many Apple-idolizing fools, she was prompt to make a reservation for the the phone from Singtel, the monopolizing service provider who made full use of M1 and Starhub s' inability to struck the deal to bring in iPhone days before (though she was less an Apple-idolizer than myself)

After a 4 hours wait she finally got the phone with sheer ecstacy and came home harping about it. At $400 for a 32GB memory space smart phone, it was a decent deal I must admit.
The following day, my Sis also acquire a 16GB version for merely $188 as she was a new subscriber of Singtel.
The montly subscription of $50+ was rather reasonable which really threw those who rushed the gun (I.e. Ferris) who spent close to a thousand last year for the much inferior iPhone 3G, off the boat with a big "SUCKER!!"

However my missus was cooking one more purchase which will surely be the mother of all buys.... A CAR!
Her strong yearning for an automobile had reached the feverish threshold and what had been holding her back was my nonchalant or seemingly lack of support.
Of course for me it was about the financial side of things.
After missing out a good deal of a second hand car just 2 weeks back, she immediately fixated on another from the online car-mart and took time with her old man to check out the car.
Over the weekend, she had been enduring the difficult decision of whether to make the purchase, all this time while fiddling with her new phone.
I agreed on using the money from the joint account for the first payment which really caused a big dent in the sum we had painstakingly accumulated over the past 3 years.
But as my mom said, we should simply indulge in life sensibly when we are still young and vibrant.

After working out her budget, she finally gave the call to the agent for the deal as it looked like half her month's pay devoted to the car alone.
Of course, she had to make the first move before another prospective buyer will.

Myself the main spending I made during the weekend was around $15 on groceries with 2 boxes of pastry style biscuits as an lavish indulgence.
But I did sold a figurine for $160 (waaaayyyy below what I had wanted to sell), so it all added up nicely...
Japanese word of the day: 購買(Buying) After the car, think we had to live a very frugal life from now on... *sob* (;___;)


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home