ぼくの日記

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Jingle All the Way = Lousy Date Movie

6th June 2006, Tuesday

The cursed number of "666" always associated with the devil himself and as mentioned the perfect platform to hoist a remade "The Omen" into theater worldwide as mentioned yesterday...Actually me and my buddy would feel queasy to even mention that "O" word as we used to describe a childhood friend of ours who "terrorised" our lives simply as "Omen" (to eventually just "Big O" or "You-Know-Who" or even simply raising of eyebrows)

However this special date as of 5th May 2005 or 7th July 2007 etc, has prove to be a special enough date for people to get married and always remember by...
Overheard in our wedding boutique sometime back that those associated in that line would have schedule well packed on this particular date which otherwise being a week day, it is not ideal to host weddings as it would be inconvenient for everyone else...
One of those who fell for such pretentious date-thingie happens to be the girl who I had my first massive cruch on....

Circa back to the year 1995, also famously known to myself as the "Gonads in the Freezer" era opened with a wide-eyed boy experiencing the life in Junior College as I embarked on my 1st 3 months stint.
Beside the culture shock and everything else which little involves academic stuff, I would want to seek some excitement in whatever love life I had at the point...
Then came the mass dance training session on the end of the first day, when this pleasantly-looking girl from a secondary school I had known (since it was the same as my buddy's) was unwillingly chosen to be my dance partner...
It could be how late the session was held or the uneasiness of having close proximity with a stranger let alone a fat ugly one; she didn't seemed to enjoy that useless dance session at all...
I wasn't overly-smitten by her appearance then but like her enough to yearn to see her late the orientation programme which I never did...think I ended up dancing with some fat lady who doesn't sings...
Then again even with my maturity level at that time (I had none to begin with even till this very day), I knew that there is no point pestering a girl who irks at the sight of me....

By a fantastic twist of fate (when not executed by the Hardy Boyz of WWE), we were been allocated into the same class after choosing the identical subject combinations...
Unlike the usual seggregation of guys and girls typically, she, together 2 other female classmates, would be on better terms with the dominant guy section in class which leads to my affection for her starting to bloom further everyday that goes by.
Apparently she didn't detested me as I thought she would back when we first met or perhaps she would had forgotten I was that sweaty/greasy dance practise partner then...
My sense of humour had brought about many enemies but had been very appreciated by her and her friends...like when they need an impromptu entertainment, I would be the ideal choice...
She would even stayed back after school to watch us play street soccer...gosh I was infatuated with such a lady...and we always take the same bus home; as I hoped that the daily bus ride would never reach our destinations so that we could indulge in our joke and conversation...

Of course after the O levels result was released, I went to my eventual JC which I was gutted about till this day while she stayed behind...
On more than 1 occasion, I tried to retrieve my "gonads" still very much frozen in liquid nitrogen to execute my "kokuhaku (confession)" but if I took a good 4 hours to brace enough courage to call her on the phone, what makes you think I would be dauntless enough to confess...

We didn't kept in close contact for the entire JC period and just as I was about to be enlisted for army, I had that audacity to court her with the help and tactics from a secondary school pal of mine who happened to be her primary school classmate (at that point of time I was high on the idea that we had been intertwined with the people we actually know)...
So an invitation from my pal and his squeeze at that time, we went on a rather awkward double date watching....ladies and gentlement hold on to your seats... "Jingle all the Way"...
It was X'mas and I was hoping the festive mood would act as the perfect medium for our relationship to step into the next gear...
However I believe watching Arnie in spandex superhero suit trying to be a comedian was too much for any of us and she left that day with a bad taste in her mouth for sure especially with my blatant approach to be close to her, accompanying to some temple nearby and all...
I followed up the date with some gift for X'mas which she most probably discarded upon receiving...
Then the ultimate confession letter of the millenium....conjured up by a few guys with almost no hitching experience and were too engrossed with playing football management game on the computer...
Via snail mail (ooh yeah the good ol' days) I was half-heartedly expecting a reply which came eventually in a few pages format to give that "oh you don't know..I had a boyfriend, now stay away from me you jerk!" procedures which I shredded into pieces out of impetus and immaturity...

Nonetheless I was still holding a candle for her during my NS days and kept exchanging letters with her to update about our lives (like she really cared)...
She made it to the university 2 years before me and had a fantastic life without me really pestering her like a parasite...
while I spent lonely X'mas in 97 playing a blasphemous game known as "Fallout 2". believing that perserverance would see me win my girl eventually...
It never did and we drifted apart as I enter college and started channeling my time and energy on more probable skirt chasing...

As I was fortunate to find a soul mate later on, we had class reunions when I would see her again...which led to some fantasy brewing in my brain with notions of "what if" in the fashion of Marvel comic that she would suddenly came up to me during one of our reunions to reveal the fact that I had always have that place in her heart all along...then the classic "ah jun-ge" sequences of me feeling fustrated in the rain while be badly beaten up by some Ah-Bengs (gangsters) for accidentally bumping them with my well-drenched body...

Anyway just a year ago, my sister who happened to be a classmate of her sister (didn't I told you how our lives had been intertwined) with the power of the online hellhole known as Friendster got to know that she had been sodo...er I mean soleminized in ROM with this uncle-looking guy...

I sent my greetings via SMS but she never replied as if I wasn't supposed to know...
In the most recent outing, she broke the happy news of getting married and looking at the picture she stored in her phone, her husband isn't as uncle as I thought he was (hey I am the uncle to begin with)...
And been an executive of a famous European bank, she could even start retiring from her teaching stint...

At this juncture, she is someone's blissful wife while I am a husband to my lass whom I couldn't wait to spend the rest of my life with...all above would be just fragile memories and my "What If..." would never be published and see the light of day...


Japanese word of the day: 前兆(Omen) Perhaps "The Omen" would be an even better choice for a movie on a first date than "Jingle all the Way"...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home