ぼくの日記

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Going High Definition

11th May 2008, Sunday

It's Mother's Day Sunday... In Singapore, it's another great opportunity for restaurant retailing to milk on supposedly filial children who showed their appreciation to their favorite person on the ailing earth, their mother by bringing them to dine and wine at the finest.
The same children who showed more in-fighting and ugly courtroom drama to ultimately claim some inheritance or something...

I do not born myself with a silver spoon in my mouth but I truly love my parents and I think I had done my best as a good son though at the end of the rainbow, their greatest desire as a traditional Chinese parent is to be able to have great time with their grandchildren...well we'll see but just for today we'll have to settle for some Golden Pillows instead...
Wanted to bring them out for a meal but Mom felt it might be overcrowding everywhere and most probably she is right and customer service would most probably in the ultimate worst; so nothing better than to stay in the comfort of our home for another lazy Sunday before yet another long week ahead.

Yesterday I went out and got myself the following:



I am surely not a serious gamer and never bought myself a home entertainment game console in a while as I know I might neglect other great things in life.

However with my close friends being advocating for this ingenious blackbox from the money-crazy IT company which I had loathed for a while now and vowed off buying their products, I had also contemplating on maximizing the capability of my LCD TV which surely with its 720 progressive projection, or something a bit more High Definition.

Sony recently won the tug of war for setting the benchmark for the next generation of video storage capability in their Blu Ray technology over Toshiba's HD-DVD and now the former though still slow is set to set the scene ablaze.
We as IT-philes should get into the act and try to jump onto the bandwagon and I had always been interested to see the great difference visually for how high-def the Blu Ray discs can project as comparison to the ordinary DVD which had ruled the scene for the last 10 years or so.

So after finding the best deal in town for the 40GB Playstation 3, and a rather hard time setting it up with the HDMI cable and all (cos my TV was mounted to the wall which left little room to work with), we had a great time for our eyes with "Click" borrowed from Chan.

In total spent a good $750 or so on the console, a HDMI cable, one PS game (Grand Theft Auto 4), a composite cable (to make use of auxiliary audio output function of the home theater system), and some multi-plug hub as I have only one measly power point to hook up all the IT stuff in the room.
I also made use of some Takashimya voucher which I was rewarded for my long service award during the Dinner N Dance this year to purchase a 6 axis controller with dual shock capability which is all good as it would chalk up another $73 or so.

It was sort of like a reward for myself after the bonus which is still a week to arrive, so I am committing something blasphemous at this point.

But much gratitude to my dear La Tendo clique-mates Chan who had been a strong reference for me to make my decision for the console and EK for the contact with the game shop which they had allegiance to since they had provide the latter with some figurines for sale, thus resulting in a rather good deal.
Of course my wrecking buddies who themselves are avid gamers, especially CS who was present at the game shop to render some useful advices along the week as well.
And finally the missus who had been understanding to my splurging need and helping me to set the console up with her patience.

So it is all green for a good time of High Definition!

P/S: Let's cross our fingers for Man Utd to notch a victory over Wigan and pip Chelski for the title on this penultimate final day game.

Japanese word of the day: 高精細度 (High Definition) Hey we are living in the 21st century afterall man...wake up and smell the coffee!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home