ぼくの日記

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Claustrophobia...

29th May 2005, Sunday

Yesterday went to Orchard Road to dropby and visit Matthew and Karen who was tending to the stall La Tendo acquired at the Street Fest I talked about the day before...

It's a scary experience once again as I always tried to avoid hitting the shopping central of our mundane island on weekends, however for a 2nd Saturday straight, I had venture to the street of Orchard Road which has an average of human traffic enough to feature in the grand battles in "Lord of the Ring", "Alexander" and "Kingdom of Heaven" combined...

So this street festival is labelled as "Street Revolution" organised by Singtel which feature tentages stretching the entire length across Mandarin Orchard, sandwiched between Ngee Ann City and Orchard Cineleisure...Each tentage already occupies 2/3 of the street thus the crowd had to squeeze through in the remaining 1/3 of the lane which was why I noticed plenty of irritated faces as I made my way to my destination...
The business so far wasn't too notable despite the crowd perhaps due to the fact that the pushing and hustling made the entire shopping experience unbearable.. of course the escalating heat and humidity ain't not helping the cause... I helped out for a while and immediately I feel all sticky all over from the humidity, and Karen was thoroughly drenched due to her ultra-effective sweat glands...
But for La tendo, spending 5.5K for a 16 days stint, we calculated that an average daily earning of $800+ would only be suffice to break even and make a good profit but looking at things I doubt they would even get half the sum back..Nevertheless it's a good publicity stint to attract unlikely customers who had complete no knowledge of where Sunshine Plaza is...
During my stay, I did sell a kiddish Naruto Glider plane to a Japanese family as well as a Gundam Wing model kit to a Malay boy (who has an aggressive mother dead on to get a further discount and that's no surprise)...sure brings me back to my Clarke Quay days
By 4 plus I made my move to La Tendo, and the free coca cola booth sure is a main attraction of the carnival as everyone loves a freebies.... cheapo Singaporeans

After the 15 minutes walk all the way down to Bencoolen street, I didn't know I would be walking back to Orchard with Chan in the evening again as Matthew needed time off back to get his car..
The claustrophobic effect kicked in to the max as the streets starting to flood with human presence and even the junction between Heeren and Mandarin had cars piling side by side and the traffic lights have no effect on regulating the traffic no more.. The entire walking process on my worn out sandals sure took some toil on my soles and I once again was pretty taken aback by the large crowd, which was why I immediately made my way back to the comfort of my nest....*Take note to avoid Orchard on weekends for the next half a year*

Japanese word of the day:群衆 ~gun-shuu~ (Crowd) Not a big fan of that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home