ぼくの日記

Monday, November 21, 2005

Smoking? Take a mint for god's sake

21st November 2005, Monday

It's a start to a rather special week as on Friday would mark the 5th anniversary since me and my lass is an item and on the following day, we are going to meet her parents (no not the Gaylord Focker style) to discuss about our impending big day coming in a year's time....

This morning while rushing to work in under a rather damp weather, I was sitting on the MRT and for 3/4 of my trip from Yishun westwards, there was a guy, think in his late 40s, in neat, respectable office attire taking the empty slot beside me...Everything was aye okay as I was pre-occupied in my thoughts rather than dozing off while my trusty iPod provides me with the sole entertainment in the long journey..then I smell something fishy..literally...

The pungent was much like tuna..but tuna that has gone really bad..like been badly burnt.
I did not intend to take a second whiff but the smell was persistant to a point that it was nauseating and I begin to ponder whether it could be the breath of the uncle beside me as he was in the direction of the smell; which then made me realised that it could be his breathe after some heavy smoking before the trip..as I had encountered this too often than I like...

In many cases it is always those recalcitrant, pigheaded middle aged blue-collar men who would be the culprit of this (regardless of race but high probability would be seasoned labourers from the world's most populated country who regard personal hygiene as a joke).
They wouldn't care less if they looked and smell like crap as their friends/colleagues/ smoking buddies all pretty much smell the same...
However through their deep breathing they somehow forgotten that their fellow passengers do not have impaired sense of smelling like themselves...
Sigh.. gone were the days when I had smoker friends who actually care about their breath after their puff as they would invested heavily on mouth refresher like mints or spray...

There was an interesting read on the papers today regarding tracing your genetic roots by using a toolkit to extract your DNA to be analyze and see which haplogroup you belong...which is really great except one such tool cost like US$100!! Nonetheless DNA test or not, there's no denial of the Japanese blood flowing within my veins...and arteries...

There have been some events happened and going to happening in our small island... Firstly the World Cyber Game tournament which close their curtain at Suntec City yesterday..I mean I know gaming is a serious business out in the market but didn't expect everyone to take it that seriously..hmm how come I don't see "Championship Manager" in the list of games played?

Then there is the "Sexpo" exhibition happening at Expo center which drew a lot of attention in our rather conservative society (yah right)...My lass was very interested to attend and to be educated but babe, there's nothing you don't know about sex from all those female magazines you have bought....

Last but not least, there was a "SMS typing competition" held yesterday when a 18 years old JC student bagged the top prize when he typed a message about piranhas as man-eaters within 45 seconds, 2 more than the winner of last year who held the Guiness World Record as well... Firstly I thought the idea of the competition is dubious enough till I noticed the prize kitty is a cool 12 grand which I think should be just nice to foot his handphone bills for his practise..ha ha sucker!

Oh yeah Kobayashi the great competitive eater once again trounced his much larger Caucasian competitors in a recent burger eating contest again...man talk about high metabolism...
Japanese word of the day: タバコ~ta-ba-ko~ (Cigarette) I really don't get if you are suffering from lung cancer or financial problem with your indulgence but never puff your smoke on my face and let me smell you bad breathe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home