ぼくの日記

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Gift Exchange

20th December 2005, Tuesday

I am in charge of the "gift exchange" segment for the X'mas party on coming Friday and the barrage of gifts started to deliver last Friday despite the fact that it actually supposed to start yesterday and on my absence, Bobby did all his best to collect.... 3 gifts...

Seriously no one actually gives a damn about this age-old tradition in which non-academic staffs would restrict their own budget to $5 to get a decent gift to had a mysterious gift in exchange...

For $5 nowadays, it's hard to imagine what one can get...there were cases of toilet brushes and other prank gifts which can be deterring for those who painfully recieved them after pitting such heart and soul with their own contributions...

My colleagues & myself had never had any trace of interest to commit to such exchange, supposedly to bolster inter-colleague relationships but with the cruel nicknames we had awarded our colleagues, no gift can redeem our acid tongues....

This morning more gifts arrived and there were blank faces when they delivered, seemingly not expecting to be reciprocated with any nice novelty items on Friday, seemingly like just going through the motion.
There were also nicely wrapped gifts in elegant gift boxes which seems to me should had cost more than $5 on itself...
With a day left to collect I really doubt the gift collection box would exceed 30 gifts in total especially with a prediction of a bulk of staff going on leave on that day itself....

We were supposed to have a X'mas lunch between the 3 girls, me & Bob at around 11 plus; which prompted me to hit the gym slightly earlier today. I was accompanied by Bobby who himself was clueless of the lunch happening today, and left JxMMy with a full load of stuff to do in our absence...
After a 3-days hiatus, I supposed compounded with the facts of me suffering from lack of quality sleep as well as my mentality wasn't well set especially as we were in the race against time to complete by half an hour later, I was unable to even complete the time span of 20 minutes with 10kph as I was stumbling through fatigue half way through for the first time since I first started my work out regime which was slightly disappointing as I felt it wasn't a fruitful session despite once again sweating my ass off, and was staggering to hit the showers...
At the end of it, the girls still dared to mince their words of us being later than scheduled.
On the way to the nearby Andorra restaurant, we encountered Lance & Triana who themselves were ready to go for lunch and for a moment I was quite ashamed of our clandestine which blatantly ostricized certain personnel.

The lunch was good but together with that piece of log-cake I had later in the afternoon perhaps deem my burnt calories for today useless...
We managed to catch up on our ongoings for the while as once again we bitched about low pay, heavy load of work, lousy colleagues (JxMMy is a fool-proof example) and everything else under the sun...Talking about under the sun, the humidity was really affecting my dining pleasure but I wasn't perspiring as profusely as the novice waiter who is serving us perhaps it was his first day and the girls were teasing that he was sweating as he was awe-struck by the sight of the muscular Bobby and got aroused....

My afternoon is free of work as well as I first attend a meeting for my shared facilities as they are viewing the tender submissions for the incorporated web portal which seem Greek to me at first with so many factors been considered as an obscene amount of money was required. Then the guy in charge Joe made a sincere request for help in the later stage of the portal development which I felt would be a useful pawn for me to establish my future career so I agreed but wanted to recede abit as I felt I might not be as capable as they wanted me to be...well que sera sera...

Back to work, JxMMy finally found the opportunity to catch hold of me to impart the fragment analysis report generation which seems really dry yet hefty but I just bear through his dead teaching..and yeah his breathe stink big time today as well...sigh
Japanese word of the day:ギフト交換 ~gi-fu-to ko-u-kan~(Gift Exchange)I think I should just pay $5 for an economical breathe refresher to give JxMMy for X'mas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home