ぼくの日記

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Bitter-sweet end to the Week

18th December 2005, Sunday

For the 2nd time in this wretched year, my life has been tarnished with the death of yet another hard disk...
This time round it is my portable notebook hard disk which I had acquired for less than 8 months ago...
You know how I irated I would get when some gadgets I held dearly in my heart malfunctioned so I was practically too fustrated to sleep on Friday night after I came home late from the company's X'mas party (which due to some confusion in the schedule we mistook the actual dinner to light snack and I left with a pretty empty stomach) as well as a short pop-by at La Tendo, only to find out my hard disk which was functioning properly when I was in office just could not be detected on my PC once I tried to analyze a file inside...

Therefore yesterday's afternoon, I made it straight to the shop where I got the HDD to do a diagnosis of the problem.
As I made it to the actual address of the shop, both me and my lass were bemused by the fact that the shop had been replaced by yet another shop. I was disillusioned with the prospect that I could just had to give up on my dead HD..which was helped much by the phone number on the receipt which they had retained since moving to yet another location within Sim Lim Square.
So I related my plight to the staff and she referred me to one of their Calcatta-based technician cum sales personnel who looked not a wee bit interested in helping as if my problem had eaten into his break time or something.
So the problem could be down to either the box (which is cheap and a much ideal situation I had hoped) or the disk itself (meaning I need a miracle to recover all my treasured files)
Somehow the worst had be actualized as my hard disk really died and under the 3 years warranty I could claim a new one from the Samsung Service Centre but I was in dire needs to recover my files which I heard from CS once that it would be possible but the staff was completely non-helpful when I virtually begged him for help as he simply put me off with a shake of his blockhead.

Fortunately I managed to contact CS who is always ready to render any help but in this case he was also not too positive; and felt I should had do backups of my precious files rather than depending on a rather flimsy portable HDD...
The Samsung Center recommended a data recovery expertise plying their trades in Science Park which was pretty near my workplace but I quivered upon hearing the price of a recovery of a 80GB HDD would cost anything from $200- $2000!!
No way I was prepared to pay that kind of obscene money even with the files I had almost impossible to retrieve..
Then CS buzzed to give me a glimmer of hope saying that he got lobang to get the job done for just below $100 which I really prayed would be true now...

My mood did get a bit better as we went for a shop at Kino before my lass left for her concert at the Expo in the evening.
Naturally my path would cross into La Tendo which is finally enjoying the usual Saturday crowd they had been yearning for the past couple of months.
Karen who came around 7 as she would be enjoying Chan and the rest for the screening of King Kong is getting cold feet for her inaugural trip to Japan later this evening and we reassured everything would be fine..

I left for Funan for my dinner with my Japanese clique.
As I had arrived with Cheryl and Foo already waiting by the entrance, it was apparent that Selina's recommendation of a quiet location to dine on a Saturday night is commensurate until a pack of boisterous teenagers hit the joint and set the place with high decibels...
Sel came only 15 minutes late which was a miracle by itself and was accompanied by her beau, Kevin who I am pretty sure might be a vampire because of the fair complexion and looks much younger than the last time I saw him.
Loke and Candy joined us a good half an hour later and we indulged in some catching up from our latest travels to job changes (especially Foo's new coordinator job at Discovery network as well as Jackson's sudden change of job from one he held for a good 7 years to selling Thai Buddha statues at Pasar Malam).
It was a good but rather abrupt catching up for us with even Loke & Candy joining the wedding bandwagon, and scheduled their traditional ceremony late next year as well.

I left for home glad to have meet up some close friends but bitter nonetheless with my hard disk which for once hope that spending a sum of money out of my shoe-string budget can be at least helpful to my cause..hell..even my budget list is now lost into oblivion...DAMN!
Japanese word of the Day: 落胆さっる~Ra-ku-tan-sa-se-ru~(Disheartening) It can be when such niggling issues arose to spoil your festive mood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home