ぼくの日記

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Day my Hard Disk Crashed

7th September 2005, Wednesday

6th September 2005 would be known as the day my faithful hard disk of my Dell Slim Tower PC crashed into oblivion....(;__;)

As of any day after work, I would gleefully galloped to my PC, trying to do my routine activities and especially now after the trip when I'm in "form-groove-feel" to update my travelogue..However upon the first stage when the computer is entering the Windows XP operating system, the screen just hang on the activation process which to me had happened before as my PC is pretty old and frail, some hiccups are bound to happen...

So not concerned I did a hard reboot by holding onto the power button on my tower but my monitor could not sense that the PC is actually rebooting and in constant hibernation mode...
I froze for a few seconds, shuddering at the thought that this might not be a small hiccup afterall..
Thus immediately I shut the pwer supply which is the last resort that shouldn't be done ever unless in dire situations...switching on again I was glad to see the monitir finally responding to the CPU but this time upon the "Dell Computer" screen I got a harsh "beep" error sound...

The black DOS screen read:

"Primary Disk 0 not detected
Secondary Disk 0 not detected
Primary Disk 1 not detected
SecondaryDisk 0 not detected"


"Press F1 to retry boot, Press F2 to Utility Setup"

WTF!?!

I'm no computer wiz and these boolean reads greek to me...

so I kept hitting on the "F1" button (which I have almost never used before last evening) and the error message kept replicating, each closely accompanied by a beep sound....

Man I was as frantic as the last time I was caught in the act in office and in wild attempts I tried the utility setup, to see if I could ingeniously did a miraclous ressucitation of my PC back to live...but once again to no avail...

I'm now very sure I need professional help, so i quickly buzz help from Loke but couldn't get him after like 19708790 redials on his handphone..
I tried to call my lass but she couldn't be reached as well (I need some comforting badly)
Finally I called CS who is always the gadget-boy in our brood, and managed to get him

It was fortunate that he was off work and just got back home..

After stating my problem, he quickly diagnosed that my hard disk is most probably gone with my CPU and RAM very much intact..which leads me to 2 options:

1) Get a new hard disk.
2) Get a brand new PC setup

In any case I would be losing the files in my current dead HD which in blessing did not contain much important files except the backup for my personal webpages, my budget spreadsheet, some mp3, video and picture files I held dearly in my heart...

Luckily I got my portable HD which holds more precious files which are still available...

Anyway I'm glad CS was available to help on coming Monday when he would be on leave, and I felt option 2 is more viable since I am already prepared to do an overhaul of my ageing PC within these 2 years though I didn't expect to be that soon..So moneywise I kinda have to draw some reserves, but trying to keep to the minimum since I need no lavish LCD monitor or top tier graphics card as I don't play games as much as he would...

Another fortunate point of view is that I'm just starting to do my travelogue and not at the ending stage, so not that much was lost
But I did ponder on the possibility of getting some expertise to draw out important files from my dead HD but once again had to consider how much cost would be incurred...

Nonetheless the entire fracas was not as detrimental as it would if it happened a year or 2 back as I am mentally prepared in some ways...
But life without PC for the next few days would be hard to endure..just more rest and TV I guessed

Japanese word of the day: パサコン ~pa-sa-kon~ (PC) Time to mourn for my faithful companion of the last 4 years

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home